• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone experience with this collar to eliminate timming „ jumps“

Moparjack 489

Local time
9:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Has any one install this collar on the distributor shaft ?

782649BA-9474-45FE-B042-73093DE5FB4F.png C1F16AD5-C3F6-4140-B3DD-34C36D40804C.png

Some ppl have used a hose covering the dist shaft lenght to fit against the oil pump drive.

Chrysler Marine had sleeve that went in distributor hole to hold oil pump drive in place. The distributor had a longer shaft. Believe the motor ran "backward" so it would push up on the distributor so they needed the sleeve. I've got one someplace. Friend of mine got 2 413 marine engines junk rotted blocks from sea water. He took the marine stuff and gave me the rest. Engines had adjustable rockers and forged cranks.

Pictures of the marine setup. First on the left is the sleeve that goes into block. 2nd is the marine dist, note long shaft. 3rd
md.jpg
md1.jpg
md2.jpg
is dist and sleeve together.

Seen that kind of stuff in NASCAR in the seventies. See a lot of that on salt flat cars. I believe I got a salt flat distributor housing with an extra heavy shaft somewhere around here.

Don't use them they severely limit the oiling to the distributor shaft use a small one about the size of the oem one. I have a bunch I would sell one to you,

Don't use them they severely limit the oiling to the distributor shaft use a small one about the size of the oem one. I have a bunch I would sell one to you,
Really?
Can you show me you’re one’s ?
Thanks

You can definitely see the picture that it is wider than the shim so little oil is getting to the shaft. Usually the ones I get in like that the bottom bushing is at their limits and I change them if it is a decent core if not it is parts, some of those bushings are not cheap!
DSC02864.JPG
DSC02865.JPG
DSC02866.JPG

as mentioned, I know some ppl have used even garden hoses to this issue ( all allong the shaft ). Cheaper than that, imposible LOL. And can be trimmed out as whished. Aside offers some cushion

Wow never heard that one before does it stand up to oil?

I have had that jumping with everything new but just the oil shaft. Just that I have more problems to fix before get into that.

I don’t see how the oil pump drive gear could jump since it’s held down by the distributor. So if it does jump, the gear is worn and now too short or the bushings in the distributor are wasted, in which case with either one, they would need to be replaced.

It can be to much Gap in the shaft or a split collar bushing, that happens a lot with the nylon OEM ones, they are 50 years old. Half of the distributors I get they are missing and it is just the roll pin and the shim left. Amazing they even run, but a sure sign of it is the rotor is pushing up to the cap and wearing down the coil contact.

I don’t see how the oil pump drive gear could jump since it’s held down by the distributor. So if it does jump, the gear is worn and now too short or the bushings in the distributor are wasted, in which case with either one, they would need to be replaced.
My firecore distributor is brand new , but on higher rpm 3000 up my timming light are not stable and move ‘s around 3 to 4 degree

Check that the advance plate is tight there is a clip under it that sometimes loses the tension. Also the gap on the reluctor, I set them at .008"

Auto Transport Service
Back