• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone familiar with 06 SRT-8 Chargers?

306Doba

Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score
One was traded in at the dealership where I work, looks very clean, black with no dents, dings or scratches, and i'm interested in buying it. I've always been a big fan of them and the price is reasonable and i'm sure I could bring it down. The salesman I was talking to about it said he thinks it's been driven hard (it IS an SRT..) and has a slight shimmy/low tire tread but the tech who did the used vehicle inspection on it said it drives fine and doesn't seem to have any issues.. although he never did take it on the highway... I'm thinking it could be a minor wheel balance issue. Has about 80,000k (50,000mi) just wondering if these cars are prone issues at their age. I don't mind having to do do a few repairs but if it's something i'm going to have to keep dumping money into i'm going to stay away lol. Don't plan on racing it and I drive like a grandpa! hhaha.

Thanks for any input!

I have owned a 2007 SRT8 Charger, it was a wonderful car that I sold to a friend who wouldn't stop bugging me for it. I would certainly buy another if I was in the market for this kind of vehicle. Do some research on the front ends of these LX cars, some owners have had minor issues and wear of the tie rod ends with miles.

if it is a shimmy at higher speed only,then it is most likely just a tire issue.(balance or other prob)the only recurring problems i have seen with these is the fast where on the forward lateral arm bushings.(arm that goes from the ball joint to the front of the frame)see if you can take it on a good test drive.that is a big amount of miles for a performance version of that type of car.could have been driven really hard for its life and the electronics on those can be a good chunk of cash to repair.

I have an 06 Charger SXT. As stated above...FRONT END...Inspect the front end before buying.
@ 56K miles I had noise from the tension struts--VERY COMMON ISSUE. I pretty much replaced everything in the front end in one shot. Both tension struts, all 4 tie rods, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, brake pads and rotors. Did it myself on jackstands over a weekend. About $500 for parts and a few specialty tools. I have a friend that is a Dodge tech and he said it would have been close to $2000 to have all that done at Dodge.
Also look at the interior door panels. The plate that the power window and lock switches are mounted on seems to break and falls into the door cavity..again a very common issue.
The Cahrger wasn't my first choice, nor would it be today, but I got cheap. All in all its been a decent ride.

Auto Transport Service
Back