• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have info on Wiper Motor Relocation - Hellcat Swap

72dodge72

Local time
10:56 PM
Reaction score
1972 Charger - Got the Hellcat in last night with TKO500 - fits better than I expected, but need additional clearance for the intercooler connection near the Wiper Motor.

Anyone relocated their wiper motor? Let me know what you've seen.

Thanks!
IMG_1851.jpg

I don't think many people on this forum would ever have relocated the wiper motor.
Frankly if you want them to work properly you may want to move something else.

Tight fit for sure. But that is grate you got that Hell cat slipped in. No help on the wiper motor here. Hope someone has an answer for you.

you gotta build thread for this monster?

No build thread yet... about time to start one. Working on driveline angle first - have mounts from SST for the tranny that put it at 4 1/2 degrees down - should be somewhere between 1-3 degrees - brought it up an inch - took me to 3 1/2 degrees and that give me an additional 3/4" near the wiper motor. Need to make some cuts to the torsion bar cross member this weekend to get the angle down around 1 or 2, hoping that will give me enough space as there really doesn't seem to be any good options to change out the wiper motor...

might be able to find something not so bulky off a newer vehicle and incorporate that, would be a **** ton of work but compared to what your doing seems like you have the skills to accomplish that feat. got any more pics of the rest of it?

You have room behind it just cut section out and sink it in a bit the linkage can be bent or shortened/lengthen if needed

incorporating the motor inside the cowl would be ideal, with a removable panel for access. my 68 wiper assembly with the clutch piece on the end of the crank arm is silly and hard to find, seems way over engineered, and a reconditioned three speed motor, talk about expensive. I would be at a junk yard looking for something off a mass produced chevy

I have been looking at possibly adapting a 2nd gen Ram wiper motor. They are more compact and as cheap as 30 bucks from the parts store.

1972 Charger - Got the Hellcat in last night with TKO500 - fits better than I expected, but need additional clearance for the intercooler connection near the Wiper Motor.

Anyone relocated their wiper motor? Let me know what you've seen.

Thanks!View attachment 961189
Look up specialty power windows, they make a cable operated wiper kit that I have used on a couple of street rods. Motor mounts inside. Mounting the pivot arms to look stock might take some thinking but should be something that can be adapted.

I have been looking at possibly adapting a 2nd gen Ram wiper motor. They are more compact and as cheap as 30 bucks from the parts store.
thats a good one and keeps it in the mopar family

Thanks for the great advice -

Looked at a couple of alternate wiper motors - but the early 70's use a hidden park feature that a lot of the late model smaller wipers don't support.

Cut the transmission tunnel and leveled the motor/trans some more - gained me some clearance but still could use an inch.

Deciding now between sectioning the cowl at the wiper motor vs moving the engine forward and the impact that has on some other clearances - will choose the easier of the two.

I relocated mine from the firewall of my 67 Coronet to under the dash on the center right side of the firewall. Had to fabricate a weird bracket to hold it there. The arms had to be bent slightly to work freely. Now, my car has a 2004 Audi A-6 dash and console in it and it's wider front to back than a 67 Dash. That left tons of room under the dash for all kinds of tricks...
I basically laid on the floor and had the arms hooked up to the motor and the pivots. Then I moved the motor around in different angles and planes to find where and how the arms moved freely. I then made a bracket to mount the motor in that position. Done.
You can also get a smaller motor out of a few different vans and Japanese cars if room is an issue.

I moved mine to under the dash on the firewall. Here's the bracket I made for it.

0625191629a.jpg

No info - but this was a DC.com member years ago who relocated his wipers to under the dash

The car was later lost to a fire but it shows what appears to be a cable operated system he rigged up?

CAIRKHYN.JPG

I saw another guy put 2 speed motor on as it faces up not sure of the outcome

Auto Transport Service
Back