• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have or know of a ratchet shifter that fits in the stock console?

bigmanjbmopar

Newb with a view
Local time
10:32 PM
Reaction score
Looking to see if there is a ratchet style shifter out there that will work with the 727 in the stock console? Pics? Looking to use my pistol grip with a ratchet style shifter that will fit in the console not sure if I care about the gear indicator plate yet need to see some examples I guess.

I found what looks like I am thinking about in a 68 charge, I am liking the Hurst Pro Matic 2 shifter looks like it fits well in the console and according to the instructions it is a simple bracket add / change to the 727. Of course I will put my pistol grip handle on top instead of the ball :) Just me doin my thing. Anyone done this yet? Forward valve body (stock)

I found what looks like I am thinking about in a 68 charge, I am liking the Hurst Pro Matic 2 shifter looks like it fits well in the console and according to the instructions it is a simple bracket add / change to the 727. Of course I will put my pistol grip handle on top instead of the ball :) Just me doin my thing. Anyone done this yet? Forward valve body (stock)

I bought a HURST Pro-Matic II for the 727 in my '67 Barracuda. I think it's a great shifter. I purchased the one designed for trucks because I wanted the longer shifter arm. I also had the intention of putting a pistol grip handle on it and bought an aluminum pistol grip for it. I never used the handle though. The angle that the knob attaches is wrong for a pistol grip and you will find that your right hand will be forced to grip at a very uncomfortable angle unless you re-bend the arm to be more of an S shape. By the way, the linkage adjustment is pretty touchy on those HURST shifters.

IMG_0664.jpg

Got any picks of the cable connection at the trans?

Got any picks of the cable connection at the trans?

I took a lot of pictures but the shifter cable was pretty much hidden. Most of it runs forward between the transmission and the firewall. My header mufflers were in the way of the linkage hookup. I can tell you that there was plenty of adjustment but if I remember correctly I had to shim a few of the bolts (that attached to the transmission pan). The bracket wouldn't lie flat against the pan lip.

I had problems with the linkage being out of adjustment. It turned out that the instructions that came with it were incorrect. The web support page was different but incorrect also. I called up their tech support and they told me the correct way to adjust the cable setting.

IMG_0783.jpgIMG_0784.jpgIMG_0787.jpg

These are the only pics I have.

Interesting.

From the instructions, how much is it wrong?

promaticlinkage.gif

Interesting.

From the instructions, how much is it wrong?

promaticlinkage.gif

It's been a while since I did the installation. The instructions are pretty straight forward and seem to be accurate. - But the position that you're supposed to have the shifter in is incorrect. I'm not sure anymore but I think that both the transmission and shifter needed to be set while in park. If you purchase one, a quick call to their tech line will confirm.

- - - Updated - - -

When I was having problems getting it to shift correctly I found several other people online were having problems too. I almost gave up on it before calling tech for info. You'd be surprised how frustrating it can be trying to get it right without that tiny bit of advice.

Cool will call them once it's here and I have it un packed. thanks for the heads up, by the way are those purple hornies you go there? lol nice

I forgot to ask, I was planning on using the same hole in the trans well as the stock shifter arm? Will that work with the 5' cable supplied or do I have to cut a new hole at the top?

265c11d8-2996-4d9b-9ceb-48b4a3b124bc.jpg

IMG_0679.jpgIMG_0676.jpgIMG_0675.jpgIMG_0672.jpgIMG_0684.jpgOn my installation, I was putting the shifter in a 1967 Barracuda with a bench seat. Before making any holes, I positioned the shifter where I wanted it to be on the floor. Because I had a bench I had to be cautious not to mount the shifter too far back. I started out by moving my seat as far forward as it would go. Then I put the shifter on the floor. That's when I noticed that my shifter arm would hit my dash when I tried to go into PARK. So I modified my shifter arm so that it was canted back about 2" further than original. The hole that you will need to put in your floor will be exactly where the cable will want to hit it when attached. But remember to figure out where you want (or need) your shifter to be before making that hole.

Hmm, I read your post from a few years ago on the A body board. Sounds like you had a heck of a time with that? Plus your using the truck version. Mine being a b body and having a factory console shifter already you would think it would be easier, Looks like some of the factory brackets have to be removed and the hole for the shifter cable has to be like the instructions show, 3" in front of were it wants to drop from the mount, was hoping to use the factory hole location, we will see when it arrives and try to mock it up. guessing I'll have to use the 1-1/2" hole they say to use oh well just another hold in the floor what else is new? lol

I just left a post on someone else's thread about the cable routing, I used the original automatic hole as you pictured. I made an aluminum plate to cover the hole and then slotted it with a rubber seal for the cable. I'll look for pics but I made my own console so don't know how it would fit the original. P.S I went with the B&M Quicksilver and really like it.

I think I saw your post. I considered that stick but didn't like the return to center feature. Liked the pro matic that stays in the gear or sits in the gear position like the oem version. Gotta love ma-mopar NSS built into the trans, wiring built into the starter relay, already has lamps for the gear indicators in place.

Heck it's almost like they knew back then :)

Hoping to get it by the weekend so I can start playing with it. that sounded funny! lmao gunna play with my stick this weekend lmao

I have a B&M Quicksilver in my Volare. Very little mod to the bezel, fits like a glove.
Doug

I just remembered back in the 80's I put a stock slap stick shifter on 69 B body console mounts. Obviously the shifter was not in the right place but it basically bolted in. Making a handle that makes selecting gears within reach might be a bit of a challenge but doable.

I am 65% done now will finish tomorrow an take pics before wrapping it all up. But I did test fit and take my time setting it all up. I think it's goin to be very cool when done tall pistol grip in park :)

Anyway mods I had to do:

Oe shifter bracket had to come out. Carefully cut the solder/weld seam on the edges and was able to pry it up with ruining it good news.

Bad new is I had to cut a 2" section of the center console mount out was able to miss the mount holes so it could go back to stock if need be.

Wasn't real happy about cutting a 1-1/2" hole in the tunnel but the grommet supplied fit like a glove even on a downward bend on the tunnel.

Got as far as the shift brackets and 80% of the cable routing, hard to see what the cable routing will be best from on your back. and the cable is long, did buy some heat shielding so keeping fingers crossed.

Had to take the oe **** indicator plate and light housing out. Was able to carefully free the oe shift indicator plate from its mount( pushed on plastic heated. and reuse it. top plate fits good and the shifter seems to function correctly and looks natural in the oe console :)

Should be able to wrap on Saturday not sure if I run into shift position trouble Hurst tech support will be open probably not.

Well all done and it's working fine, I had the car in park and set the shifter in the park position and installed the cable and all is fine. Took some top side pics. Will get underside later. The cable is not exactly where I would prefer it to be but it is wrapped in a heat shielding tubing so hopefully it lasts. It's a longer than needed cable in my opinion but it's booked as universal, I guess you could get a shorter one if need be.

I like this shifter, it has two lock out features built into it, to prevent you from slamming into neutral and the other makes you go into park before going back into reverse so feel good about slapping the **** out of it and not worrying about throwing into neutral, the Duncan shifter did not have that and you go easily put in in to N.

The pistol grip handle brings the feel right up to mu big sized level so I am not reaching for the handle it feels natural.

20141025_100509_1.gif

20141025_100534_1.gif

20141025_101234.jpg

20141025_101253.jpg

20141025_142400.gif

20141025_142408.jpg

That was the idea, trying to make the mods not look too much like mods. For non mopar people when they look in they know mopar has the pistol grip but don't have enough knowledge to know if it came on an automatic or not so it makes for good conversation. Plus it looks and feels badass :)

Auto Transport Service
Back