• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know of an old car I tried to buy...

Thrashingcows

Local time
10:18 PM
Reaction score
Back in the mid 90's I was restoring a 68 Coronet 500 convertible 383/4bbl, 4spd and loaded with options...car was rusty and was my first restoration, needless to say I quickly discovered that metal work and paint are astronomically expensive when paying someone by the hour to do it!

When I finally got it back from the paint shop I was devastated about how much I paid so I thought...Hey why not buy an R/T and use my body to swap everything over....I was around 20 then. ;)

So I started looking and eventually found a 68 Coronet R/T convertible, Hemi/Auto, Silver with a red interior. Car was rusty but seller said it was mostly complete, minus motor and tranny, I think it was on the east coast somewhere? I believe he was asking $16K for it? I found someone to go look at it for me...the report back was not good...K-frame was rusted through and the rest of the car was being held together with hopes and prayers...so I passed on it.

Anyone remember this car and if it was ever saved?

43E49E5A-554E-45AE-84B3-EB927088877D.jpeg

I think I know that car ( was in NJ area maybe ? )
Same seller had several hemi convertible bodies back then . I gave consideration to buying the blue 1969 GTX vert body, was Hemi 4 spd car. But same deal . Was quite rusty ,,,and I also passed.

No idea what ever happened to the coronet you mentioned.

But the 4spd GTX has been restored .
https://www.fusionmotorco.com/vehicles/336/1969-plymouth-gtx-hemi-convertible

A few years later I had TWO 1969 GTX verts ( both 440 cars ) and had an itch bad for a hemi car.
I inquired on this one when it was in Missouri. But told the seller then I was serious but had a few bugs iron out before I could make it happen but I was seriously going to try and buy this one. hemi auto .
Car sold a few days before I could pull the trigger .
Car sold to a guy in PA, who still has it. Car is for sale but Im afraid its WAY WAY outta my budget now. Was $45k back then,,,,,now $350k
https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0520-415060/1969-plymouth-hemi-gtx-convertible/

Last edited:
PS< I know someone who owns several Hemi drop tops.
I will ask him if this 68 Coronet rings any bells or knows what happened to it

Auto Transport Service
Back