• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone own or owned donkeys?

DeltaV

Endeavor to persevere
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:01 AM
Reaction score
Anyone here own or have owned donkeys? I have 5 acres of wooded property.

Temperment, in general?
Need to have at least two?
How much do they eat per month?
Fencing requirements?
Recommendations and suggestions

Send me a pm if you prefer.

Thanks in advance.

Smart. They like companions but it doesn’t have to be another donkey. 5 acres will leave you spending virtually nothing in feed. Hot wire works really well. You can have them as protectors of other small livestock so u can get some goats or sheep.

Friends of ours have a small sheep farm in NJ in an area where coyotes have re-established themselves. They've added a couple of donkeys to the flock to keep the coyotes at bay.

Donkeys hate coyotes, especially the Sicilian ones.

Hello! yes, I own donkeys. And sheep. 5 acres is plenty for a few donkeys. If you get some, either get all males(jacks) or all females(jennies). Because they will fight, seriously fight. If males, get them fixed or they will tear chunks off of each other every spring. Donkeys are like horses, they have to have a friend, another donkey or something. One will be lonely by itself. They are VERY smart and will do well to have a "job", like pulling a cart or carrying small loads around. Halters and blankets should be used often or they will balk at having them put on. Donkeys are very loving as a rule and will show it every day. They are excellent protectors of other livestock both large and small. Our chickens often ride around on their backs. They need a half a bale of good hay a day , each, in the winter. and a couple of cups of 14% sweet feed in a hanging bucket in the evening and plenty of clean water always available. Ours like molasses cookies as a treat. Your feed store has them. They need an area about 6x8 each as a stable. Or they can stable together in a 12 x 12 stall. What ever you do, you cannot suddenly change it later, so decide. if you try to separate them later it wont go well. They like to roll in fresh wood chips on the floor. They should have their stall cleaned of dung and urine daily and fresh wood chips or hay put down. They need a salt block that's for donkeys and horses, sheep take a different one. They need toys in the stall and on the pasture. We use traffic cones and the hard rubber balls with the handle molded on. They need a person to come twice a year to trim their hoofs. Be sure you have the space from your neighbors because they are very vocal and LOUD. They will bray when ever they see you in greeting. Get a good book all about donkeys and read it. Go to your local feed store and ask about them. They live 30 years or more so keep that in mind too.

The number one thing to know about donkeys is this; never, ever, turn your back on them. Always be aware of where they are when your in the pasture or stable with them. Donkeys have been known to kill their owners for absolutely no reason. Yes, really. They can be loving and fine one second and grab you with their powerful jaws the next second and throw you on the ground and stomp you and kick you to death. They just do. It could be anything including that you wore a different colored coat or shirt, you petted the other donkey first, who knows, they just are like that. Reports abound of owners who were the very best of owners with loving and docile donkeys that have been owned and handled daily for 10,15, 20 years that suddenly one day killed someone. They don't have to have a closed barn, they can be in a three walled open stable.
They are clever so make sure your gates are chained and latched securely or you will be chasing them. Mine have escaped three times in the last 6 years. If you sit in a chair or stool on the pasture they will come up slowly behind you and stretch their necks out over your shoulder and rest their heads on you. It means they love you. Have someone else around to watch out for you. Mine have never attacked or kicked me, but, one of them did bray repeatedly at me and rear up with front hoofs out, all wild eyed once. Still don't know why. I shouted it down and stood my ground. That donkey has been fine ever since. It was in the spring so was likely a hormone issue..

Last edited:
Ours are Mediterranean donkeys. One is a miniature and the other is a standard. The mini is more loving and docile. They WILL BITE. Be careful. They hate coyotes. They will kill them and any other predator that gets near. That includes dogs, we have two. They don't care for our collie and I think it's a combination of she barks a lot and she's brown colored, like a coyote. Out big white dog is friends with them and they let him do whatever. You have to place warning signs on your fences where ever people can get near, to tell them not to feed them or reach into the area. People are stupid. We had a lady that stopped once and got out of her car and went to the fence. She had a high pitched voice and when she reached for him he turned and kicked the hell out of the fence. She landed on her ***. She said she would sue. I pointed out the sign she ignored. Idiot.

Last edited:
Here's some pics of them and their environment.
WP_20170715_11_26_01_Pro.jpg
WP_20171001_14_17_52_Pro.jpg
WP_20171001_14_17_57_Pro.jpg
1044260_787717634684031_5909501281065629557_n.jpg
A__5DC3.jpg
A__78DA.jpg
A__093F.jpg
A__99A5.jpg

That last one is our Maine Coon cat, Ike, he cant seem to relax...so nervous...

Geezuz - they might up and kill their owners for no reason? I'll take my chances with my mopar...

Geezuz - they might up and kill their owners for no reason? I'll take my chances with my mopar...
Yes, they can. It usually results from something stupid the human did, but not always...they are very intelligent and wont take too much **** from a human before reacting badly. If you care for them properly and are kind to them you will most likely not have any issues. BUT beware.

Oh, one more thing.....they have very good memory's. If you ever, even one time, are mean to them or abuse them, they will never forget it. When you least expect it 10 years later the donkey will pay you back.

They are definitely not for everyone. Ours are there to protect the sheep, and they are pets. We have a lot of coyotes here. And lions. Our Great Pyrenees Mountain dog is also there to protect the livestock.

Auto Transport Service
Back