• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone paint their exhaust?

kllrbee

Local time
9:24 PM
Reaction score
Hey all,
Have the complete exhaust off. It works fine, but has some light surface rust and discoloration. Anyone paint theirs? I would obviously use BBQ paint or VHT headers paint. High temp stuff (1500+).
But Im just wondering how it turned out. Does it look okay? Let me know or if you have pics, that would be good.
Thanks

Guess no one has done this...LOL.
Well, Im gonna give it a shot and see how it turns out.
Ill post some before and after pics if anyone is interested.

I've thought about it! And I will say it doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. I'd go with a bare steel look so it looks factory but just about anything would look better than rust.

never done it but interested. i have a couple of older pairs in the barn that have rust spots and if it works i could use them up sometime.:icon_idea:

Any exhaust work i do with uncoated pipe i paint it afterwards with VHT paint, the aluminum color. Always looks great, and holds up very well, as long as you prep the metal first, remove grease oil, fingerprints, etc....

I rewelded and painted my whole exhaust with 1500 degree rustolem paint I found at the home supply store. Has kind of a satin silver color to it and so far has held up well and didnt cost 20.00 a can either. The color and texture of the paint is much better than that supposed to look like aluminum stuff you see all over.

Decided against it guys. Was excited to try it out, but when I started sanding, I noticed there are some rusty sections that are very thin and just about to go thru. So Im going to need to replace it soon anyways.

Oh well, so much for that experiment....:sad2:

Anyways, Ill start another post with what I plan on doing.

Auto Transport Service
Back