• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone running E-85 fuel?

Moparnocar

Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
Anyone here running E-85? With prices, might make sense. What you got to do, fatten up the jets? Timing?

15 years ago, I worked on a truck that was running it, I just remember he had me put in bigger jets

Ive sure been thinking about coverting the 383 in the coronet when I get the floors done. I think a person really needs to increase compression ratio to take full advantage of E-85.

Ran some in my Satellite by accident driving through the midwest. Started running like **** and i also think the exhaust smelled different. I'll only used dinosaur based fuels and lubricants. No corn gas or synthetics for me. How much cheaper is it? I don't know because we dont' have it out west where i'm located.

I'm thinking about running on wood gas.

Wood Burner: 1995 Dodge Dakota 4×4

040120-1995-Dodge-Dakota-4x4-duel-fuel-1-630x390.jpg

I've thought about doing it but you need E85 compliant carbs and fuel pumps. So that's killed it for me. Don't want to make the investment in something that's working well. If I needed a new carb or pump I'd probably go for it.

I've thought about doing it but you need E85 compliant carbs and fuel pumps. So that's killed it for me. Don't want to make the investment in something that's working well. If I needed a new carb or pump I'd probably go for it.
I'm assuming new fuel pumps are ok. I've got a performer, with the rubber accelerator pump. New rubber hoses too. It's almost $2 cheaper a gallon here.

Ran some in my Satellite by accident driving through the midwest. Started running like **** and i also think the exhaust smelled different. I'll only used dinosaur based fuels and lubricants. No corn gas or synthetics for me. How much cheaper is it? I don't know because we dont' have it out west where i'm located.
Almost $2 gallon cheaper. However, I know milelage is worse.

add some octane boost if you go that route

I'm assuming new fuel pumps are ok. I've got a performer, with the rubber accelerator pump. New rubber hoses too. It's almost $2 cheaper a gallon here.
Don't assume. My holley pump isn't compatible and neither is my edelbrock carb.

I run E85 in all my performance vehicles, but they are fuel injected. I've toyed with converting the 500, but that's way down the road.
My friend Mark has a 68 coronet with a 318 that he converted the stock carb to run on E85. He has had zero problems with it.

To take full advantage of E85 you do need to increase jetting and compression.
And E85 is "wet", meaning it carries some water along with it.
Fuel mielage will suffer.
When I helped a friend with his dirt cars we had a gas carb and an alky carb. The alky carb was almost 3x richer. Messes with the handling because you start out with more fuel and it burns off quicker, changing the weight bias.
Compression was around 14:1. We ran E100 or 114 (?) gas.

Which carb? From what I've read, the diaphragm on the acc pump is the only issue
1407. I'm guessing you're right but the little research I did theywere pretty clear that the carb would be damaged with E85. Floats maybe too. Gaskets possibly. So I went no further.

To take full advantage of E85 you do need to increase jetting and compression.
And E85 is "wet", meaning it carries some water along with it.
Fuel mielage will suffer.
When I helped a friend with his dirt cars we had a gas carb and an alky carb. The alky carb was almost 3x richer. Messes with the handling because you start out with more fuel and it burns off quicker, changing the weight bias.
Compression was around 14:1. We ran E100 or 114 (?) gas.
How big of jets? 30 percent?

1407. I'm guessing you're right but the little research I did theywere pretty clear that the carb would be damaged with E85. Floats maybe too. Gaskets possibly. So I went no further.
K I'll call Edelbrock. Otherwise, I have a old thermoquad.

I run E85 in all my performance vehicles, but they are fuel injected. I've toyed with converting the 500, but that's way down the road.
My friend Mark has a 68 coronet with a 318 that he converted the stock carb to run on E85. He has had zero problems with it.
How big of jets? 30 percent?

Knowing Mark, it was more than likely a drill bit to enlarge but I will ask him.

3.48 vs 6

Auto Transport Service
Back