• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone running Wilwood rear drag disc setup on the street?

dsd1967

Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
The only reason I ask is that I got the setup with an axle I bought and was wondering If I could use it on the street or just step up to street version. I know the street version has a thicker rotor and an e-brake. What are the drawbacks?

what does the drag system look like. the difference between street and strip.

The rotors are solid on the drag and about .312" thick. The rotors on the street version are cast, about .800" thick and have venting in the center.

The drag rotors have no e-brake provision. The street version have an internal drum e-brake.

From a "legal" standpoint I should run e-brakes, but I've never used them on previous mopars...unless they were manual cars. The bigger concern I have is if the rotors will stand up on the street, or If they won't properly dissipate heat.

Well after a little investigation, the axle that came with the Wilwood system is a strange 60 and the brackets are not interchangeable and the hubs have the wrong offset for the 8 3/4 that I'm putting together. Nothing was compatible, so I had to start with a clean slate.

Since I got rid of all my other 8 3/4 housings and all my backing plates and drum hardware, I was stuck with buying everything to get brakes back on the rear. That being said, I went with a Pirate Jack rear disc setup....it was the most reasonable and comprehensive way to get rear disc brakes on the car.

I could have probably put the drum stuff together a little cheaper....but it would have been a lot of piecing of things together. The disc setup has everything needed.

Auto Transport Service
Back