• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone successfully rebuilt hood hinges?

DrewTX

Local time
7:51 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully rebuilt hood hinges? My 1971 Charger are sloppy at the pivot points and it sits funny. When I open the hood all the way, I can push the hood open further seeing slop in the connections or wallowed out at the pivot points on both sides. I'm pretty sure this is wear and not correct, as one side seems worse than the other. I found a used hood, better than mine, with hinges for $250 but reluctant as they may be as bad as mine. This is my first Mopar, so I don't know if the action is factory normal. Is this slop the way it should be, or is this wear?

Watch your pivot points on hinges when opening the hood. Slop? Ya, probably, maybe try to peen rivets a little? Thinking about it myself.

Peening rivets is one thing, rebuilding worn finger joints is another. Unfortunately I will need to do both and an not about to spend what the car cost new on hood hinges.

Peen the rivets a little, maybe that’s all it takes?

And most of the time the pivots pins have oblonged the holes. So spending a few bucks getting them done by someone that knows what their doing is money well spent.

Auto Transport Service
Back