• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone take apart an air grabber switch?

71ChallengerSE

Local time
3:10 PM
Reaction score
I'm working on a clients car and his brand new air grabber switch leaks on the open side and the hood won't open. I have taken it apart twice and I don't see why is leaking at all. Anyone take one apart and have pics of what is supposed to be inside?

Are you sure it's the switch that is faulty?
Check that the electric solenoid is blocking air flow first before attempting to open the switch. :icon_thumright:

Its definitely the switch, I have removed the solenoid and the canister from the equation and am providing perfect vacuum to the back of the switch and using a little jumper in the holes. With no switch the hood opens and closes just fine, with the switch directing the vacuum it doesn't open and leaks out of the switch. Of course I also suspect the solenoid to be bad as it leaks both open and closed out of the port on the bottom.

The brand new switch that came from Roseville which looks to be a BE/A part leaks in the open position but will close the hood. I just received another brand new switch from Dales Cuda Shop which is clearly a different manufacturer and it leaks vacuum in both directions. Test these switches as soon as you get them fellas they are trying to pass off defective garbage!

While waiting on my 3rd replacement NEW switch I grabbed a 46 year old dirty Charger vacuum headlight switch I had and plugged it in using some jumper hoses and guess what. It opened and closed just fine. It is definitely a bad air grabber switch. Now hoping the 3rd switch is good.

Yep the switch I bought from Dales would eventually open the trap door so one day I spent some time on it. I found that it was leaking bad in open position but would close quickly. If you pushed the lever a slight bit back toward close the door would open right up. Best I can tell it is moving about a 1/16" too far allowing a vacuum leak. I took the old one out of the basement and put it back on my car.

Yep the switch I bought from Dales would eventually open the trap door so one day I spent some time on it. I found that it was leaking bad in open position but would close quickly. If you pushed the lever a slight bit back toward close the door would open right up. Best I can tell it is moving about a 1/16" too far allowing a vacuum leak. I took the old one out of the basement and put it back on my car.
go figure.. shame that part designs arn't tested before production? or is it production from China is just plain cheap lol

I'm sorry. But did they ever have a switch? Mine has a cable. So did my first 25 years ago. Is this aftermarket air grabber?

I'm sorry. But did they ever have a switch? Mine has a cable. So did my first 25 years ago. Is this aftermarket air grabber?

1969 is the only year for B-Body AirGrabber with a cable. 70-2 use a vacuum switch.
Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back