• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone use Eaton Performance Detroit Truetrac diff?

idrivemopar

Local time
10:30 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone used an Eaton Performance Detroit Truetrac differential? Wanted to know if this is better than standard limited slip diff and would be suitable for street car?

Looking to go with some sort of posi setup

Let me know

Thanks

Put one in my 68 super bee when i changed the gears to 3.73's, but haven't put much more than 15 miles on it since then because of an unrelated electrical issue....went in ok, no issues so far as far as noise or anything. I'll let you know once i get some miles on it...

Attachments

• Eaton True Trac 3.91 1350 Yoke.jpg
    Eaton True Trac 3.91 1350 Yoke.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,147
I have a couple of these in my Brand X cars, they work very well, no clutch worries as they are clutchless, and not harsh like a Detroit locker of yore. No special fluid additives required.

i just put one in my 8 3/4 with 3:55 gears used a 489 case and got rid of my 741 case, perfect for street, cruising, it only locks when power is applied and free spools for corners so it makes no noise and gives plenty of strength, i highly recommend. stay away from detroit locker if it is a street car they are way too noisy and clunky

If I were buying a new one that is what I would go with. Never had one but I have only heard and read great reports on them.

I have one in my Camaro.. Its a little different feel to it but its not clunky or anything.

I only have off road experience with these. bulllet proof. they are better than the clutch types because of the worm gears its the next step down from a locker. Imo over kill for a street car

I use them all the time in many different apps, you'll love it

I'm sure they make a Dana 60 one. You think it will hold up in a 4 spd application with slicks and occasional hard launches? Not a light car either. I plan to hit 11 sec or better with my green car someday but still want it to be semi streetable.

yes definetly very strong unit ive never had a problem lighting the 295's up with my 590hp 505 and my friends cuda runs 10.3's and hasnt had to touch the diff since he put it in 2 years ago

Good to know! I'll file that under useful info. Thanks.

I'd be curious to see if one of these would work in the front of a 4x4. We used to run a spool with manual lockout hubs. Works real good. The truck does push a little when both hubs are locked, but it pulls like a beeotch in heat. I'm like to see how this would work in the front.

I'd be curious to see if one of these would work in the front of a 4x4. We used to run a spool with manual lockout hubs. Works real good. The truck does push a little when both hubs are locked, but it pulls like a beeotch in heat. I'm like to see how this would work in the front.

they work great only in offroad applications...but not good for road use due to steering issues...it wont turn lol :p

Has anyone used an Eaton Performance Detroit Truetrac differential? Wanted to know if this is better than standard limited slip diff and would be suitable for street car? Looking to go with some sort of posi setup. Let me know. Thanks

I'm new to the rear end swap thing. Can you guys tell me: Is this the right part number for the 489 case?

Detroit Locker 913A572 - Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differentials

Then: To switch from a 3.23 to a 3.55, I also need:

Gear, Ring and Pinion, 3.55:1 Ratio, Chrysler, 8.75 in., 489 Casting, Set
Part Number: RMG-6903711

These are as listed on the Summit Racing Website. Then I need a guy who knows how to rebuild one.

Yeah? :notworthy:

Thanks

Got mine back today, True Trac with 3.55 gear. also upgraded the collapsible spacer to a billet steel one that is shimmed so no preload on it. Probably overkill for my 340 street motor, but hey, it should never wear out!

Attachments

• IMAG0837small.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 948
  • IMAG0838small.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 906
Auto Transport Service
Back