• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone use Nason's paint?

YY1

Local time
8:58 AM
Reaction score
It's almost 1/2 the cost of Delstar and I was able to get it to not run and orange peel as bad. only issue I found is that if you don't get really good coverage, it kind of forms a whitish gritty layer on top.

i am a jobber for nason here at my parts store what would you like to know about the product i have quite a bit of experience with it and i have also sprayed it.

I used it on a buddies truck and couldn't get it to spray for beans. Went on like stucco.

I used it on a buddies truck and couldn't get it to spray for beans. Went on like stucco.

sounds like you didnt reduce it enough and where was your air pressure set at was your gun set up good theres other things you need to look at before blaming it on the product.

sounds like you didnt reduce it enough and where was your air pressure set at was your gun set up good theres other things you need to look at before blaming it on the product.

Well, I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest over it, but this wasn't my first rodeo. I've done quite a bit of painting, but never had so much trouble with one particular product. JMHO. It might have been a bad batch, I don't know. It wasn't my decision as I avoid the low end stuff if possible. The product may be fine, I'm just relating my experience with it.

I bought a quart of primer 10 years ago for some parts etc and ended up using some on my car. The car is inside a shop with a rear overhead door so it sees a southerly breeze a lot and anyone that knows Houston knows how humid it is here. Still no rust showing through it....it sprayed on fine with a cheap gun.

I eyeballed the reducer to what looked like the reccomended 20-25%. I used probably a little too much high gloss hardener, and I used a cheap ($25) HVLP top load gun set at 50 psi,

I found it fairly easy and forgiving if it looked like a run was starting, and if I forgot to shake the gun enough and the metal flakes started pooling. Only one spot where I couldn't correct that.

This was only my second time using paint that didn't come in a spray can, and I was painting wheels, which have to be the worst for odd angles and compound curves in tight spaces. I meant to take a pic before it got dark, but forgot. Maybe tomorrow.

I guess I was just looking for other's experiences and opinions. Durability is a concern, as FL (and I'm darn sure TX) is really hard on paint.

By contrast, my first time was with the same gun and Delstar. I had big trouble with orange peel, fish eyes, and almost any other painting defect you can have EXCEPT runs (which surprised the hell out of me). I was all set to blame the gun (coulldn't be me, right) But, I found the Nasons MUCH easier to work with and better looking as finished product.

I use the nason urethane primer exclusively. and have used some of there paint with no problems.

Nason is an economy line of paint that can look pretty decent if sprayed in a professional environment. As soon as you step out of a controlled environment you are throwing the dice. What do I mean... If paint does not have steady temperature, air speed and clean filtered air flowing past it during application you will have troubles. Solvents need to escape at a set rate and are chosen for the spraying environment. Slow reducer, hot day...fast reducer, cool day etc. Hardener selection is critical as well. The incorrect gun chosen will screw up the best paint. Using a 1.5 nozzle to spray a material that won't atomize correctly without a 1.3 nozzle can cause blotchiness and orange peel as an example. Too much humidity...gun distance to the panel, speed of the gun relative to the material being sprayed... overlap 50% in most cases, 75% in others... I could go on and on.
I don't use Nason and likely never will, but their product can spray out nicely IF you follow all the directions... to a "T". Paint can be extremely fussy stuff and requires a lot of experience to master. I have seen premium brands screw up due to the above mentioned errors by the painter.
YY1, sounds like excessive dry spray, too fast of a reducer or hardener has bitten you. If most of the job sprayed out well, then it was likely an application error. Wrong reducer/hardener or combination of a few things. Sounds like a respray is in your future.

If you want a premium job, it requires premium tools, materials and experience. The tough part is cost, especially with the high cost of materials these days... Good luck!

wen I worked at macco I painted 3500 cars with it and only had trouble with 16 that was my falt...and yes I would use it again..Artie

It's almost 1/2 the cost of Delstar and I was able to get it to not run and orange peel as bad. only issue I found is that if you don't get really good coverage, it kind of forms a whitish gritty layer on top.

thats from not geting the overspray away from it...Artie

I spray it quite often. Only complaint I have is that it doesn't cover as well as Dupont's Chroma system. More coats of paint equals more texture. The price is good, it applies fine.

I never understood how a person could spray one brand successfully and fail miserably with another brand. If you check the viscosity (which I can't say I have seen anyone do in decades. Just follow the directions) and set your gun properly everything should be just fine. Well, I suppose the operator has alot to do with it too. lol

Auto Transport Service
Back