• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone use the Summit 1789 SB cam?

YY1

Local time
9:35 PM
Reaction score
About two years ago I ordered a Summit 6900 cam.

Today I opened the box and they sent the wrong thing.

I really wanted a slightly smaller but more modern split pattern cam, but might try this anyway.

I have a stock 86 9:1 roller motor with 302 heads I'm thinking of putting in my Satellite since I have to pull the motor.
Also have the standard performer intake and 600 Eddy carb.

Car has 2.25 inch duals with H pipe and factory manifolds, but I have a set of Dakota manifolds I might try.
Not real keen on the cheap "around the center link" headers I got free, but they're available to use.

I don't care if the idle is lopey, but I'm keeping my A/C. I'm also keeping the 904 and stock converter.
I know that's a borderline grind for a stock converter, but I've done fine with that in the past.

SUM-1789

Basic Operating RPM Range:
1,500-5,200

Duration at 050 inch Lift:
216 int./216 exh.

Advertised Duration:
272 int./272 exh.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.454 int./0.454 exh.

Lobe Separation (degrees):

Car is a 2-3 day a week alternate daily driver, and go to show/concert car.

Hasn't been to the strip but If I build it like this I'd go maybe 3 or 4 times a year, maybe more if it's consistent.

I'd also like to keep double digit MPG.

I used it in a 74 Coronet that I had.....I would recommend some gears a "High Stall" converter.....it was a slug off the line with my stock 2.45 gears and low stall converter but she would really pull on the mid and high end

like jim said,you will prob loose a bit off the line and end up using a lot more gas then a cam better suited to your setup.i would just spend the little bit of $$ and opt for another cam.especially if you drive "casual",you will not be happy with the low end.

This grind looks like it's "right on the line", just like the 284/484 was for my 9.2:1 1970 383.
That cam worked great in that motor, despite what many others said at the time.
Of course that motor had better breathing heads, and headers.

I think the valve timing issues are probably the worst aspect of using this in a roller motor, but I wonder how much they are off.

I think I will probably get the 6900/6901 like originally intended for this car, although I do have three other running 318 motors. I just thought the extra compression of the late LA would be a better match for this grind.

Auto Transport Service
Back