• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Using a "Heads Up Display" (HUD) on Their B Body?

Dibbons

Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
I would rather see an RPM tach reading than a MPH readout.

HUD.jpeg

Yep. head on a swivel and looking out the windshield. I know how everything else is running by the sound and how quickly the telephone poles are going by!

I have an app on my phone that can be used as a HUD speedometer.

There are cigar lighter plugin devices that can get the RPM from that, so it's conceivably an "easy" build for "someone".

IMO....
The vehicle's most important instruments are in order: Tachometer, Oil pressure, Temperature, Fuel, and last MPH. On the vehicles I've owned with Head Up displays, the emphasis is usually MPH, directional signals, sometimes MPG. I'm sure others will have their own opinions and preferences.
BOB RENTON

Tach as a first one ?... when you know your car you can feel the RPMs but I find hard to feel oil, temp and gas. Just my 2cents

Tach as a first one ?... when you know your car you can feel the RPMs but I find hard to feel oil, temp and gas. Just my 2cents
"Feeling" has nothing to do with it. RPM is probably the most governing factor factor as it takes into account the best torque and RPM points the engine is delivering. We all know the results of exceeding the maxumum point....bent valves, spun bearings, and a catastrophic component failure. My second choice is oil pressure, for without adequate pressure, the engine would not survive (especially at high RPM). A sudden spike in coolant temp, may be a precursor of head gasket failure or leakage. For these reasons, I'll stay with my choices....but you can continue to use "a feeling" as the determining factor.....your choice....
BOB RENTON

well I'm talking about a driver car, not strip car. So... a Tach... mmmm nice to have it and in fact I added one, but I think can live without it ( specially on an auto car )

Last edited:
Until I install the Dakota Digital Rally gauge set, I have been cursed for years with the dreaded dim dash lights. I disassembled the dimmer wheel and used high grade contact cleaner (from my medical equipment repair supplies) and that only helped briefly.
I have a very nice Autometer tach w/wired remote shift light. The tach fit the hole where the clock was (that was only right 2 times a day) like a glove. The light on the tach works great, so I use that to gauge speed, especially because my ring and pinion has been changed from a 3.54 to a 4.10.
The speedometer on my phone's map app works well, so now I've verified some key RPM/gear/MPH parameters. The speedo is about 15 MPH fast.
I can also see my Oil Pressure gauge, and my Temperature gauge (when it decides to work).
Once the Dakota Digital gauges go in, that will all be in the past. The only problem is I will have to pick a stand alone shift light, because once you have one, well you wonder how you never did.

Auto Transport Service
Back