• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these aftermarket headlight switches junk?

Evan Frucht

Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
My headlights have started to flicker on and off continuously while driving. Its hard to tell but jiggling the headlight switch seems to maybe have an effect on this. Before I dive in to find out the problem I was just looking for general insight and wondering if the aftermarket headlight rheostats they sell have failed quickly on other peoples cars.

The headlight switch is probabaly only 6 month old if that. But i know a lot of aftermarket electrical stuff can be junk. Whats the consesus

I replaced the headlight switch and dimmer switch at the same time on my son's 74 charger with parts from AutoZone and on his first drive the headlights would shut down after about 5 minutes. I changed them both again with American standard parts and no problems since

Several years ago I replaced the headlight switch on my '73 Charger with a parts store switch (made in China). It worked, but was very stiff, as in it took some effort to pull it to turn the lights on. I didn't like that so I cleaned up the old one, installed it and it worked again.

Auto Transport Service
Back