• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these lifters compatible in a stock block?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:46 AM
Reaction score
I'm unsure that these Lunati EDM lifters are what I need. I showed them to a knowledgeable Mopar buddy and he thinks that these with the wide open band are to be used in a "bushed" lifter bore. I don't recall the guy at Lunati telling me anything like that.
What do you think?

Attachments

• DSCN1716.jpg
    DSCN1716.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCN1723.jpg
    DSCN1723.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 205
Compare the wide open area of the Lunati lifter with the thin oil band in these solid lifters from Howards:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-91718

These look similar to traditional hydraulic lifters that I have seen. To me, it seems that the open area would allow oil in the gallery to push right past the lifters and result in less oil pressure.

sorry I've never used them, either type... what is the supposed advantage to using either of them ??... maybe you could or should, possibly just use a High Volume oil pump also, with them Lunati lifters, so it offsets the larger oiling passages & no real drop in oil pressure... what oil pan, pick up & pump are you currently using ??, just curious

Last edited:
The EDm solids are designed with a passage that allows pressurized oil from the lifter oil gallery to enter the body of the solid lifter and exit at the foot, delivering pressurized oil to the cam lobes. This is probably a moot point at higher rpms where there is oil flinging around. At low to mid rpms, I would think especially at idle, the extra oiling probably extends the service life of the cam and lifters. This may also allow greater spring presssures.

Last edited:
I have a 4 quart chrome oil pan that will be for sale the next time I have a swap meet booth. That POS has weeped oil no matter how I try to seal it. I bought a 6 quart HEMI pan from Milidon along with their pickup. I also bought one of those cool molded plastic windage trays with the built in sealing ribs. NO gaskets and they are reusable. I've been running a high volume oil pumps since the first 440 I built in 2001.

I returned the Lunati lifters and bought a set of Howards EDMs. Their band is much thinner and is less at risk of an oil issue.

The only issue would be if the band comes out of the bore. Its just used to lighten the lifters. With any build, check each lifter in its own bore, bores can be tighter, looser, shorter, taller, etc. Might have a slight drop in oil pressure, running a high pressure/high volume pump will cure it if excessive.

I returned the lifters to the Summit store and bought a set of the Howards direct oiling ones. Same principal, but a safer choice. The Howards oil band is thinner and shallower.

Auto Transport Service
Back