• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ARP head bolt torque 383

What kind of heads? Iron or aluminum? not that that should matter , ARP bolts come with very specific instructions. very easy to follow, just use them. If it was me for iron factory heads and regular head gaskets factory torque spec, If aluminum and MLS gaskets use ARP spec and their instructions and lub.

Havent got any instructions cause reusing the old ones.

I have 906 head.

Use the FSM recommended bolt torque and tightening sequence. 440'

Lotta folks getting this wrong.... ARP bolts are higher tensile strength than OE bolts, therefore to properly stretch the bolts requires more torque.... Use the ARP spec...

Lotta folks getting this wrong.... ARP bolts are higher tensile strength than OE bolts, therefore to properly stretch the bolts requires more torque.... Use the ARP spec...
Yessir. And use their supplied lube on the threads and under the bolt head.

Now, in our case it just happens to work out that the factory's and ARP's specs (even Edelbrock's if you're using those) are all the same @ 70 lb/ft, but that's not always true.
One more tidbit--if you're using aluminum heads, run the bottom of the washers over some 60-80 grit sandpaper 3 times. Only takes a couple of minutes. Often times they will spin on the aluminum as you get close to torque.
I've experienced it with aluminum heads, before I found this-
https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...-avoid-pulling-threads-or-killing-head-bolts/

Use the ARP specs, but you need to know which series of bolts you have. The 6 pt is 70#, 12 pt is either 70 or 80 depending on if they are 180,000 or 200,000 psi bolts.

Use the ARP specs, but you need to know which series of bolts you have. The 6 pt is 70#, 12 pt is either 70 or 80 depending on if they are 180,000 or 200,000 psi bolts.
12-pt is also 70 lb/ft but you make an excellent point! Specs may differ for the higher-PSI series!

I’d use the ARP spec too but the modulus of elasticity of all steel is the same. If you torque the ARP bolts to factory spec you’ll get exactly the same performance as factory. No harm there.

ARP, the factory, edelbrock, all say 70. Just bought them, just looked at the FSM, and just looked at the instructions that came with the ARP bolts, and installed them at 70

That's what I said, 12 pt has 70 or 80, depends on which level of bolt 180,00 or 200,000.
Yeah, sorry I didn't mean it to look like I was barking at ya, the exclamation points were more intended for the OP because it was important info...

do you have necked down bolts for the short ones?
stretch is different short or lonh

Auto Transport Service
Back