• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asking the same question again.... Heater hose fittings and hose orientation

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
I searched and searched but can't find the thread I started awhile ago.
I ordered some heater hose fittings for my '70 Charger 440. I am installing an aftermarket A/C kit and need to have the heater hoses connected just right.
I'm not sure which hoses hook to what. I recall that one is a 1/2", the other a 5/8". I don't know which fitting goes in what hole in the housing.
Help!

440-1.jpg
A C pulley 1.jpg

I've seen the one nearest the thermostat is often plugged. The one nearest the actual water pump is used along with the one nearest the engine block.

The hot water in to the heater comes from the connection near the thermostat housing - this feeds in to the lower hose connection on the heater core.
You can see the connection in your pic of the block and pump.
The upper heater core hose feeds back to the connection down by the water pump.
The hot water feeds in to the bottom of the heater core to expel any bubbles up and out of the core and back to the water pump to be fed back through the engine to be heated again.

The new HVAC unit has heater hose fittings that may be in a different position compared to stock. They have instructions but show one hose to the water pump and the other to the intake. Big Blocks are dry...no water runs through them.

This is mine, hope it helps.

20190822_064341.jpg

Hard to see Kern, but this may help. I can get better photos tonight of the 440 if you need them.

IMG_2659.JPG

I was actually trying to learn which fitting has the hottest water and which had the coldest. That matters for the heater control valve as part of the A/C control.

FWIW Momma will be much more likely to go for a ride with you when there's cold air .... AMHIK.... LOL..

Thanks to those that replied
The new HVAC unit has heater hose fittings that may be in a different position compared to stock. They have instructions but show one hose to the water pump and the other to the intake. Big Blocks are dry...no water runs through them.

Just to repeat.
These instructions are not correct. Going by Steve340s words, the HOT water is flowing from the fitting nearest the thermostat. This flows TOWARD the firewall and into the heater core fitting on BOTTOM. This is in a stock application. The TOP heater hose is essentially a return line running back to the water pump.
My WP housing is aluminum and BOTH fittings are 5/8". I just found this out today so the fittings I already had in this housing could have been retained.

Auto Transport Service
Back