• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto to manual crank insert

dodge68charger

Local time
11:10 AM
Reaction score
My car was an automatic car before and i want to put a 4 speed behind it. Where can i find the crank insert to do this conversion and do i need to trim the input shaft. Thanks

There are a couple ways to go about this; if your crank was forged then it likely is already drilled deep enough. Automatic cranks didn't get finish drilled, so were about .030 undersized. You could hone out your hole with a brake hone until it fits the bronze bushing.

Alternatively, some places (NAPA used to stock them) have undersized bushings for just this purpose. But most guys these days are using the roller bearings out of a '96 up Dodge truck, these fit the larger hole where your torque converter would center.

Brewer's sells them but doesn't mention the truck part:http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PB5300

There are a couple ways to go about this; if your crank was forged then it likely is already drilled deep enough. Automatic cranks didn't get finish drilled, so were about .030 undersized. You could hone out your hole with a brake hone until it fits the bronze bushing.

Alternatively, some places (NAPA used to stock them) have undersized bushings for just this purpose. But most guys these days are using the roller bearings out of a '96 up Dodge truck, these fit the larger hole where your torque converter would center.

Brewer's sells them but doesn't mention the truck part:http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PB5300

Thank you so much for the reply.. Do i need the bronze bushing aswell as the roller bearing brewers sells? Thanks

Thank you so much for the reply.. Do i need the bronze bushing aswell as the roller bearing brewers sells? Thanks
No....put you might have to shorten your input shaft a little. Best to measure your bell housing mountingfaces to see if the shaft will be too long or not.

Auto Transport Service
Back