• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto-Trans Expert Needed

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:51 PM
Reaction score
I know this isn't the right year vehicle to discuss but I cannot get a straight answer anywhere. 2003 Dodge Ram, 2500, Hemi, overdrive automatic trans. My truck might sit for a couple of weeks at a time. I'll start it up and while idling, trans fluid will travel up the dip stick tube and spill out. It's not over full. Is something sticking and causing this. It has happen three times in the last yr.

It almost sounds like the converter is draining back. When you say it's not over full I assume you are checking it fully warmed up and running (or whatever it says to do). Have you checked it after a two week sitting period? Next time you may want to check the fluid in the fully warmed up state and record the level, then before you start it after a two week setting period. I suspect the fluid will be high in the dip stick tube when cold thus causing the problem.

I'll have to try that Meep. Now if that is what's happening, what would be the problem?

Can't say for sure but there must be some sealing ring and check ball that holds the fluid in the converter. If you had access to the drawing that shows how all the circuits work you can probably figure it out. My auto tranny experience is limited, even though I managed to get a few back together and make them work well.

Have you checked the transmission vent? We've seen dirt dobbers build in them and stop them up.

Just about every Dodge has converter drain back, but I have never seen one that would spill fluid out the top of the dipstick. It's got to be something with the vent. Even with the drain back the stick is way higher than the top of the transmission and no fluid should ever reach that high. My 06 CTD sits for weeks sometimes and while I let it idle in neutral to get everything flowing, it doesn't leak.

If the vent is plugged the fluid could become trapped in the tube.. You sure it's just not leaking at the tube where it goes into the transmission? I have been a transmission man for 30 years.... I have never heard of this.

What if you start it and run it in neutral instead of park?

OK another edit: The vent is in the bellhousing built into the pump, doubt if it has a problem. What is probably happening is the convertor drains back the fluid, it gets in the tube, idling in park it builds some pressure and burps it out the tube. If you start it in neutral, you shouldn't have that problem as the pump picks up the fluid and starts circulating it. In Park, the convertor doesn't charge so you got a lot of fluid that is staying in the pan .

Last edited:
Ok now that I know, all you have to do is start a thread on a problem and it will fix itself! No leak for four months!

Came home today (in my car) and under my truck is a puddle of trans fluid. Fluid was coming out from the top of the dipstick tube. Started the engine in natural and the fluid went back down, checked the fluid level and it was where it suppose to be.
Now what the truck is up with this? Converter leak down was mentioned. Ok what retains the fluid in the converted? I have not used the truck in a couple of weeks and it is parked on level ground...

Have you pulled something stupid heavy recently before it started doing this?

Just saw your reply,

I haven't towed anything in over a year now. It's the craziness thing I have ever seen. You wouldn't think that the torque converter would hold enough fluid to overflow the dipstick tube if the check valve was removed. This only happens when the truck sits for a couple of weeks. A fellow co worker is asking a friend of his who works on these for a living to see if he has run across this before.

Some of them converters hold over 2 quarts. 2 quarts dumped back into the pan will come right up that dipstick.

Just about every Dodge has converter drain back, but I have never seen one that would spill fluid out the top of the dipstick. It's got to be something with the vent. Even with the drain back the stick is way higher than the top of the transmission and no fluid should ever reach that high. My 06 CTD sits for weeks sometimes and while I let it idle in neutral to get everything flowing, it doesn't leak.

If the vent is plugged the fluid could become trapped in the tube.. You sure it's just not leaking at the tube where it goes into the transmission? I have been a transmission man for 30 years.... I have never heard of this.

What if you start it and run it in neutral instead of park?

OK another edit: The vent is in the bellhousing built into the pump, doubt if it has a problem. What is probably happening is the convertor drains back the fluid, it gets in the tube, idling in park it builds some pressure and burps it out the tube. If you start it in neutral, you shouldn't have that problem as the pump picks up the fluid and starts circulating it. In Park, the convertor doesn't charge so you got a lot of fluid that is staying in the pan .
this should be a 545rfe trans. The vent is on the top of the case. I don't see how this can be anything but a vent issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back