• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVS2 Tunning info

Gerrs69rr

Local time
2:14 PM
Reaction score
Pulled my Holly street Avenger for the new Edelbrock AVS2, I have to say it's the most responsive carb I have ever seen, really love everthing about it. I was having an issue with very rich idle and poor fuel economy. Followed the normal path of searching for vacuum leaks to no avail. I called Edelbrock and the tech was very helpfull, sent me a different set of needles and said "make sure fuel pressure was under 6psi". New needles helped on mileage but I still had a rich idle with idle mixer screws at maybe a 1/4 Turn. I installed an inline fuel pressure gauge and discovered my fuel pressure was 6.5. I'm thinking 6.0 - 6.5 whatever that's close enough. Not with these carbs, they are made to such fine tolerances 6.0 is pushing it. I threw on a regulator, set it at 4psi and magic happened! Was able to properly set idle mixer screws with vacuum (ended up just over 1 full turn out) no more eye burn'n, exhaust chokingbfumes and it just feels smoother. I'm making a four hundred mile trip this weekend to Roanoke VA for Mopars in the valley, I'll see how mileage improves.

I really like the AVS for a street carb. Set them and when you get them right, forget them.

Pulled my Holly street Avenger for the new Edelbrock AVS2, I have to say it's the most responsive carb I have ever seen, really love everthing about it. I was having an issue with very rich idle and poor fuel economy. Followed the normal path of searching for vacuum leaks to no avail. I called Edelbrock and the tech was very helpfull, sent me a different set of needles and said "make sure fuel pressure was under 6psi". New needles helped on mileage but I still had a rich idle with idle mixer screws at maybe a 1/4 Turn. I installed an inline fuel pressure gauge and discovered my fuel pressure was 6.5. I'm thinking 6.0 - 6.5 whatever that's close enough. Not with these carbs, they are made to such fine tolerances 6.0 is pushing it. I threw on a regulator, set it at 4psi and magic happened! Was able to properly set idle mixer screws with vacuum (ended up just over 1 full turn out) no more eye burn'n, exhaust chokingbfumes and it just feels smoother. I'm making a four hundred mile trip this weekend to Roanoke VA for Mopars in the valley, I'll see how mileage improves.

I'm glad to hear that you got it dialed in. I have the same carburetor on my '68 Charger and I've been experiencing the same thing. I'll check my fuel pressure. Are you running a stock fuel pump?
BTW, I was at the Mopars in the Valley last September and loved it. Would love to be there this year but just cannot make it.
Safe travels.

I'm glad to hear that you got it dialed in. I have the same carburetor on my '68 Charger and I've been experiencing the same thing. I'll check my fuel pressure. Are you running a stock fuel pump?
BTW, I was at the Mopars in the Valley last September and loved it. Would love to be there this year but just cannot make it.
Safe travels.
I have never made this show, looking forward to it, heading up with Dick, Bernie and Nick, supposed to be a nice weekend. I have an electric fuel pump, unfortunately whoever did this engine build ordered a cam that doesn't have the lobe for fuel pump rod, took awhile to figure that one out when I tried to switch to mechanical

Auto Transport Service
Back