• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Axle puzzled

prib

Local time
7:41 AM
Reaction score
69 Coronet leaf springs,new, with springs on their correct side, tighten in place and assuming quarter panels are correct, with tires on gap between tire and wheel moulding is 1-11/4" difference, wheel on drs side in middle of opening, passenger side is at least 1" closer to front is this normal? Can't tell anything when driving thanks

Is the flange to perch measurement the same on each side?? What is the flange to flange measurement?? Maybe someone changed something??

Is the flange to perch measurement the same on each side?? What is the flange to flange measurement?? Maybe someone changed something??
Nothing appears altered, where locating pin on spring is suspect made by Mopar performance,bolted right in no problem nothing changed on perch a 4 way alignment would tell

If it's not pulling to one side, which it would surely do if the axle was out of square an inch, I'm betting the quarter panel isn't in the right place. Any evidence the car has been hit?
I would surely get a four wheel alignment, and make the tech checks the rear, and doesn't assume it's okay because it's not an independent rear.

69 Coronet leaf springs,new, with springs on their correct side, tighten in place and assuming quarter panels are correct, with tires on gap between tire and wheel moulding is 1-11/4" difference, wheel on drs side in middle of opening, passenger side is at least 1" closer to front is this normal? Can't tell anything when driving thanks
Is there a chance that the short side main leaf is for a '64-5 b body that has a 1" shorter front segment?
IMG_2650.JPG

Thank you all, but I measured both sides from the center cap on front rim to the cap on rear rim with the same results,pass.side still 1+" closer to front than drs.side, car's frame is in great shape with no reconstruction. Going to measure my 68 Coronet spring it looks perfectly situated in wheel well. Next week alignment checked

New,at time of rebuild last year, Mopar performance brand made in China. Absolutely possible wrong part with correct part number from manufacturer

Cross measure from the left front spring eye to the right lower control arm pivot. The same with the right front spring eye and left lower control arm pivot. Then measure the same 2 points left rear to left front, right rear to right front. Now measure from the front spring eye to the center bolt in the leaf spring. The checks the chassis foe square.This will check the springs for being square. Only thing left is the sheet metal itself.
Doug

Last edited:
Thank you Doug from front of spring it measures same as my 68 Coronet to locator pin, that eliminates wrong part need to check square ness. Also measured from bottom corner of door to wheel opening, very close to drs side length that might eliminate sheet metal???

Can't tell anything when driving
I misunderstood what you meant with those measurements.....
If it was truly misaligned like you are describing (and not the bodywork)....anyone following you in it would be able to see the dog-tracking plain as day.

Scheduling 4way alignment check this week at body shop that knows if frame is tweaked

Thank you Doug from front of spring it measures same as my 68 Coronet to locator pin, that eliminates wrong part need to check square ness. Also measured from bottom corner of door to wheel opening, very close to drs side length that might eliminate sheet metal?D
One thing I didn't mention. Is one front spring mount longer than the other? Measure from the spring eye to where the front mount bolts to the frame. Dodge and Plymouth are different lengths during some years. If they're the same? Do the measurements to the control arm pivots.
Doug

One thing I didn't mention. Is one front spring mount longer than the other? Measure from the spring eye to where the front mount bolts to the frame. Dodge and Plymouth are different lengths during some years. If they're the same? Do the measurements to the control arm pivots.
Doug
I didn't know spring mounts were different lengths, it's possible I put them back on backwards, springs are definitely on correct side I sure hope that's it thanks

I didn't know spring mounts were different lengths, it's possible I put them back on backwards, springs are definitely on correct side I sure hope that's it thanks
The spring mounts left and right on any given application are the same. But there are several different lengths of spring mounts, for different spring lengths, and different wheelbases from dodge and Plymouth, and also for b-bodies using a-body length springs (super stock springs).
There seems to be confusion (at least to me) as to the problem. Is the rearend off left to right, or front to rear ?(I understood front to rear) .
If it is as off front to rear, it should pull to one side badly.
(I still suspect a quarter panel replacement.......)

What DVW meant you could have a Dodge front hanger on one side and a Plymouth front hanger on the other. I made an illustration picture the D is for Dodge hole in hanger the P is for Plymouth where the Plymouth hole would be. The Dodge hole is 1" different. So if you have a Dodge on one side and a Plymouth on the other there's your 1".
hanger1.jpg

BINGO!!!! I think the last post was it, after measuring front leaf brackets, they are on the wrong side to even out axle. Should have known if springs are different then brackets could be also. The answer was looking at me all the time, thanks again and I will add this to the list of exceptions to the rule

BINGO!!!! I think the last post was it, after measuring front leaf brackets, they are on the wrong side to even out axle. Should have known if springs are different then brackets could be also. The answer was looking at me all the time, thanks again and I will add this to the list of exceptions to the rule
If that's your problem Doug deserves the credit.

I don't know the car's history, I think I took off original springs,had only these brackets to use, there is.750 difference between the two brackets I have on the car. I unknowingly put them on the wrong side. After I switch them back axle will straighten out of front to back.

t, after measuring front leaf brackets, they are on the wrong side to even out axle. Should have known if springs are different then brackets could be also.
Could you explain this a bit more?

You did thanks.
So your car is bent then.
Or something seriously wrong with the spring mount area on the frame

Auto Transport Service
Back