• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Axle seal issues

RallyeGreen

Local time
1:47 PM
Reaction score
I installed new axle seals in my 8-3/4 in my coronet last week... Now they are leaking again?
Axles aren't pitted or scarred any. What did I do wrong?

There are two types of axles seals. One has a single lip and one has a double lip. When I say lip I mean the part of the seal that contacts the axle. Which seal did you use? The double lip is better and more expensive.

Pretty sure they have 1 lip. NAPA brand
I'm almost tempted to use Green style bearings and seals.

Are you setting axle end play? If not you can install all the seals you want and they will leak regardless what type you use. The bearings need to be loaded correctly to hold the axles on center in the housing. If not centered the seals are ovaled on the axle causing the leak.

Which one are you replacing? the inner seal is the one you need to be addressing and as mentioned not setting the axle end play will cause all kinds of issues.

8.75moparrearend.jpg

I expect you know--there is a correct side of the seal that goes to the inside.............................MO

I had the same problem a couple years ago. After changing the NAPA seals for the second time, I used a micrometer to measure the id of seal, then compared it to the axel. The tolerance wasn't even close, went to another parts store and haven't leaked a drop since.

Yes, the inner seal. They are installed correctly. I'm going to go tear it apart right now and measure the ID of the seal to the axle and see what's up.
Thanks for all the input.

You still have to use the same axle seals if you use green bearings.

Had the same issue with my 74 Charger last fall. Put in new Federal Mogul 5121 seals and switch to green bearings MO400. Issue solved for me. Good luck.

Going to the Green bearings and solving a seal problem tells me that the problem was axle end play was not being set properly with the factory Timken bearings. If the vehicle has an open diff or the cone type Sure Grip, it shouldn't be a problem setting end play but the Sure Grip with the clutches it can be a problem if the thrust pin is missing. You just can't set it if the pin is missing. The thrust pin in the clutch type unit can come out but with the cone unit and the open diff, it's trapped in place. If the axle end play is set too tight with the clutch SG, it can cause the thrust pin to break out when the axles warm up and expand.

I'm going to go with the axle end play as well, took it apart and seals look fine.
I'm going to borrow a dial indicator and set up the rear right, starting all over. I'm using Napa 15460 seals. So should I replace the seals again as well?

Green bearings require no seal.
Doug

I thought the same thing, I put them in my 68 barracuda and never had any issues

- - - Updated - - -

What I don't understand is, the passenger side was never leaking at all before all of this. The driver side brakes were grabbing so I knew it was either a wheel cyl or grease seal. As suspected it was a seal.
I a Also changed the center chunk, and figured what the hell might as well replace pass side too. Put everything back the same way it was. So evidently the axel end play was always off..

Green bearings require no seal.
Doug

The inner axle seals keep the rear end lube from running out. Without an axle seal what keeps the rear end lube from running out around the green bearings? I don't think green bearings have a seal the seals it between the outside of the bearing and inside of the housing. Rear end lube is what is leaking from the seals. Wayne

Make sure the axle seals are all the way in the tube and seated so the seals rides on the correct point of the axle. also that the axle is not worn where the seal rides.

My 2 cents green bearings have a big o ring the makes the seal from what I understand

Is it possible to have the seals knocked in too far? I knocked them in until they bottomed out.

Is it possible to have the seals knocked in too far? I knocked them in until they bottomed out.

You installed the seals in correctly. Knocked them in until they bottom out.

- - - Updated - - -

My 2 cents green bearings have a big o ring the makes the seal from what I understand

Then that would eliminate the inner seals.

Auto Transport Service
Back