• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Axle splines 8 3/4 vs 9"

YY1

Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
So I found some axle shafts in my dumpster last month.

I thought they looked like ford 9", and that fits with the personality of the guy I think put them there.

Just for the hell of it, I stuck the end of one into an 8 3/4 chunk I had on the shelf.

It went in about 3/16 and seemed like it might go in more if I cleaned it up.

Are they the same?

Sure didn't think they're the same. Even with the same number splines (which I think one of the Fords is). Could be the end taper on the Ford is enough to get started on an 8 3/4? You can tell if they're Fords by looking at the bearing retainer if that's there.

IIRC, Ford comes in 28 and some 24. 8 3/4 are all 30.

Very interesting.

I wonder what TF they are then.

They are heavy duty, on par or slightly heavier looking than 8 3/4, and have no noticeable taper.

They guy I'm thinking tossed these once offered me a later model rear sway bar off what he called a 9".

img_20170729_183727-jpg.495391

If it's the one on the left it looks like a taper bearing, does the one next to it have a taper bearing with the outer race laying on it?

8.8 is a good guess.

I've never actually seen one out of a housing.

Initial research indicates 28 and 31 spline on those as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back