• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B body " Add-A- Leaf" spring kit ?

rustytoolss

Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
I'm working on a 62 Fury wagon. The rear springs are sagging. Does anyone know of an " Add-A-Leaf" kit that would fit ( part numbers please) . The springs are 2.5" wide, 20" in front of the center pin, 35" behind the center pin. I'm sure eveyone will tell me to replace the springs, but for now this is cheapest way for me to solve this problem.

See if you can find a spring shop locally to re arch them. I've done this before and it was relatively inexpensive compared to a new set.

Contact Espo Springs and Things for a new set. Why go through all the work to remove them, take them apart to
re arch them. Install a new set. Do it once, do it right.

I agree with the others to just get a new set from ESPO and be done with it, but @Dennis H used some add a leafs from Summit.

Adding a leaf costs me nothing as I have some old leaf springs laying around (typical Mopar hoarder). I added a main leaf with the eyes chopped off to my 68 Sat over 25 years ago. Not sagging yet. With the sometimes poor quality of new parts nowdays , the old junk just may be a better solution. Keep in mind, you may need a longer center pin. Leaf Spring Add-A-Leafs Suspension Components Chassis & Suspension - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
Replying a bit late, When you installed a modified main leaf, About how much lift did you gain ? Did you notice a stiffer ride quality ?

Probably about 1-2 inches. His method is what I've done for about 40 years as well. A-body springs will work for donors in your early B-body and they're easy to find. It will firm up the ride and reduce sway a bit. As he said though you will need longer center pins but you should be able to purchase those at an auto parts store. C-clamp the spring pack when you disassemble it. It's a pretty easy job to do.

E body's are 22" and 35" I believe.
A super stock e body spring should fit nice in there.

Probably about 1-2 inches. His method is what I've done for about 40 years as well. A-body springs will work for donors in your early B-body and they're easy to find. It will firm up the ride and reduce sway a bit. As he said though you will need longer center pins but you should be able to purchase those at an auto parts store. C-clamp the spring pack when you disassemble it. It's a pretty easy job to do.
If I could get close to 2" I would be happy.

I took out a set of helper springs from my 64 Polara. Dropped the back end close to 1 3/4 inches. They're cheap and summit lists them under item #13120-1

20220809_190531[1].jpg

20220809_190522[1].jpg

20220809_190453[1].jpg

I bought an “add a leaf” set from Summit as well - for my 68 GTX. Worked like a charm and cost less than a dinner out. Raised the rear about 2” just what I wanted to ensure my rear tires would fit w/I the wheel wells.

I bought an “add a leaf” set from Summit as well - for my 68 GTX. Worked like a charm and cost less than a dinner out. Raised the rear about 2” just what I wanted to ensure my rear tires would fit w/I the wheel wells.
Going to ask a dumb question here...Where in the spring stack, did you install the Add-a-leaf ?

Going to ask a dumb question here...Where in the spring stack, did you install the Add-a-leaf ?
Sorry - A little unsure because a buddy did it for me - but I believe they were simply on the top of the current stack. That would be the most logical place in my mind. You could always call Summit Tech Support to be sure. This was all part of a ground up makeover on the X so I had a lot of help.

Just to be clear - when said above - I meant you have your spring stack then you add the new ones right on the outside top of those - am I making sense?

Sorry - A little unsure because a buddy did it for me - but I believe they were simply on the top of the current stack. That would be the most logical place in my mind. You could always call Summit Tech Support to be sure. This was all part of a ground up makeover on the X so I had a lot of help.

Just to be clear - when said above - I meant you have your spring stack then you add the new ones right on the outside top of those - am I making sense?
This add a leaf helper springs were installed at the bottom of the spring pack - i.e. - closest to the ground. The ones on my car had replaced the OEM "short" leaf.

Following this. As i want to lift the back end of the yellow one

But it my understanding is this add a leaf gets added between the main leaf and all the short leaves.

Following this. As i want to lift the back end of the yellow one

But it my understanding is this add a leaf gets added between the main leaf and all the short leaves.
The add a leaf pictured would be the shortest leaf in the stacked pack - so it would only go on the bottom of the leaf stack.

See if you can find a spring shop locally to re arch them. I've done this before and it was relatively inexpensive compared to a new set.
This is what I thought as I had a set re arched back in the 1990s for about $90 per side. Maybe because Tucson only has one shop doing this, but I was SHOCKED that they quoted $800 a pair.

Auto Transport Service
Back