• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B&m torquemaster 2400 behind a 440

hoover

Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
There is a new converter on the local classifieds that i am giving some thought.
The car is a street driven 67 coronet with a 440 that has an old purple shaft .284/.484 cam in it. 9.5:1 CR.
Stock manifolds
3.73 gears.
Currently has the converter from the new yorker that gave up its guts for this car.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar combo?
Any good?

I know who built those up till a few years ago
quality, balanced
not as trick as the new stuff
if the price is right go for it
I for get 67 early or late input shaft/ splines

67 is late spline so it will fit. Flex plate bolt pattern may be smaller diameter bolt circle than the current converter. I'm sure it will perk it up.
Doug

I have a B&M holeshot 2400 behind a 500HP 440, held up so far, been in there for 8 years. A little mushy at low rpm's with a 3.23 gear but drives fine really. Can pull it to 3200 on the brakes in my combo. Only change I made to it was 7/16" bolt pads.

I think you'll find it will work pretty well with your combo. I have one in a similar build, aluminum-headed 440, same compression, same gears, 28" tires and it's been fine. Lots of street cruising and 'stomp it' miles. Breaks the tires loose with just a stab of the pedal, and throttle response from cruising speed is good too, it just gets up and goes without even cracking open the secondaries..it may not be the performer that the modern converters are (like the PTC going in with my 505) but they get it done for a street ride..

OH!----I just re-read your title and it says 'torquemaster', which is the lower-power capable converter than the holeshot. (Mine's a holeshot). Brain lagging behind the fingers again lol. In that case be careful---B&M recommends them for 350hp/torque applications and no big big blocks..

Last edited:
The good ones were "B&B" Brased fins and needle bearings
IDK which was which As the builder built for lots of oem's
We did some testing for them

big cooler and larger than 5/16 cooler lines
fins might lay down if not furnace brazed but unlikey unless you are using foot brake launches
your tires will protect the converter in normal driving
if you do go an expensive 100 plate cooler throw a transdapt mount and filter in the line
no special filter needed fot atf

Auto Transport Service
Back