• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B & M Trick shift vs Dextron Trans fluid

Cyty Slykers

Local time
2:09 AM
Reaction score
I have a brand new transmission and curious about which fluids to go with.

what does the Brand new trans builder suggest ?

I changed converters so now I have a b & m tork master 2000 stall in the tranny.

I always ran Type F in all of mine.

Just curious why the expensive 2000 rpm stall converter over a stock unit?

I had my engine rebuilt(mild build) and due to all of the upgrades/components the engine shop told me to go with that particular stall.

This is one of the questions that will get opinions all over the place. I would try to find out what the rebuilder suggests. Good luck.

My friends that are still running race cars had lost a few transmissions recently. .. After doing some research they found that the ATF has suffered the same fate as oil with additives being taken out. They made the switch to Lucas Oil Marine ATF type F and everything is again right with the world .. no other changes and now the trans lives like it used to... not sure if you are running alot of power and if this will be an issue or not for you but sounds like the ATF is changing now too.....

I tried the B&M Trick Shift in my tranny, and that blue color sure makes it a PIA to check on the stick. Much prefer the red tranny fluid coloring and Cope Racing Transmission uses the Penzoil fluid, looks to be Dextron II type from his website.

This is one of the questions that will get opinions all over the place. I would try to find out what the rebuilder suggests. Good luck.
I'd go with Eric's advice and ask the trans guy. I used B & M Trick Shift for years back when I was racing mostly because I could get it real cheap where I was working. I've been using Dex III on the street for a long time now without and problems and I can't really feel any difference in the trans. Personally I don't think the B & M fluid is worth the extra money for a street car, but that's just my opinion.

Gentlemen,
I too used B&M Trick shift fluid in my auto transmissions. One must perform their due dillegance when researching this subject. The basic difference between the Dexron fluid and the Ford Type "F" fluid is the co-efficient of friction between the two fluids at working temperatures and pressures. The type F oil allows for higher line pressure and therefore more positive engagement of the clutches and less slippage (a firmer feel when the trans shifts). When the Trick shift oil was introduced many years ago, the friction materials of the clutches and bands were nothing comared to what they are today.....airamid and carbon fiber composits, which are superior to the material of old. When I had my 727B's rebuilt, I was specific with the rebuilder as to which materials to use and clutch apply springs to use, tolerances of the selective fit snap rings, etc. The old rule of thumb applies when going to a higher stall speed converter.....external oil coolers are a must...the bigger the better in terms of heat transfer rates...
Cheers,
RJ Renton

Auto Transport Service
Back