• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B/RB mopar Alum.heads

Geri

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
anyone running B-RB engines with Aluminum heads? what brand- and opinion. local machine shop said stay away from import(Chinese) Alum heads as the seats/ guides come loose opinions?

From what I been reading trick flow heads seems to be the best bang for your buck

Edelbrock victor max wedge heads here.
Trick flow and Edelbrock seem to be right up there, Speedmaster sells them but I believe they are made in china that has trouble with valve seats falling out- guides coming loose. never a good idea. I'm always lookng for the right stuff- or very different-thinking of putting 426 hemi heads on the 383 . I'd have to fab an intake but -how hard can that be? thanks for the tips , still just thinking ,gotta plan 2 years down the road. as an FYI I used to run the Accell duel point race distributors that in the70's really worked great. thy have a2 wire lead one for each set of points, the black wire has a plug together in the pigtail,I would unplug that run it to a toggle switch on the gear shifter when shifting to high gear I'd flip that switch which would open the circuit to that lead set of points- now it was running only on the second set of points which were phased 7 degrees opening/closing apart. this retarded the spark 7 degree's, that made a difference of 6-8 mph and 2-3 10th on the ET. I'm sure todays electronic ignition is light years better. but it worked in that era. I still have an NOS Accell distributor which will be on the 383.

anyone running B-RB engines with Aluminum heads? what brand- and opinion. local machine shop said stay away from import(Chinese) Alum heads as the seats/ guides come loose opinions?
Trick Flow all the way.

Tell me why trick flows out of box bolt ons and don't have to do any benchwork need help cause i have to make up my mind which heads to run on my mild 440

Tell me why trick flows out of box bolt ons and don't have to do any benchwork need help cause i have to make up my mind which heads to run on my mild 440
Every head needs to be gone through, never bolt on ootb

Ok will do what ever heads i use i will have them gone thru check everything before the bolt on

Absolutely, look at thread “just another 505 build” bolted on a set of trick flow 270 out of the box. He didn’t make it out of the burnout box and a valve stuck due to tight guide clearance. Basically destroying the engine

The machinist that does my work gave me those instructions when I bought Trick Flows. He had them a couple days, pulling valves and assorted stuff, coil bind, guides and spring pressure and etc: I bought the 240's as soon as they were available, not wanting to wait for the 270's. The heads were also massaged a bit and now we will see if the money spent was well spent. Just my thoughts....:moparsmiley:
Bob

I run 440-source Stealth heads. 8years ago I took them out of the box, changed out the springs and retainers to the ones for my cam, and onto the engine they went. I’ve never had 1 issue with them. Not saying they stand up to a set of race heads, performance wise. But they were a great investment for me.
This winter I sent them out to Modern Cylinder Head and had them run their CNC porting process on them, as well as doing a full 5-angle backcut grind and all necessary prep work. They flowed them on their bench and showed 318cfm at .600 lift. I have under $2k into these. Certainly still don’t compare to a set of full race type heads, but I believe youd be hard pressed to find a better bang-per-buck for a street-strip sort of build.

My Chinese 440 Stealth heads have a few thousand miles and are doing fine. I did take them apart to clean and replace the springs and hardware for my cam. Installed spring heights were all very very close ootb. Next time I have to open the motor I will probably ship them off for a port to get some more cfms.

But.....if I had the expendable cash at the time I would have chosen the TF 240's but they were double the price. Very nice heads and capable of good power.

never expect race parts to be perfect out of the box,suspect everything and be grateful for the parts are as described- especially heads

Trick Flow, the cnc work is superior to Edelbrock.

20160223_110209.jpg

1967coronet440 nailed it!

They are no "out of the box" heads despite what the marketing departments of cylinder head companies claim.
Regardless of what "ready to bolt on" heads you buy. You really need to check them out.

Have folks gambled and done just that? Absolutely.

Is it good practice? Nope!

To the OP. If I was in the market for a more street strip type head, I'd be looking at the trick flow 270's.

I have both the EDE RPM Performer's & Indy EZ-1's. I agree with the others, never run any head without thorough inspection & dimension checking (guides, valve job, guide/retainer clearance, etc) . Both my sets seem very good quality. I know of one set of Source heads that the casting cracked after a while.

Keep in mind that if you’re building a B block (??), max wedge ports narrow your intake manifold choices severely.

Auto Transport Service
Back