• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B1 pistons

chad

Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
A buddy of mine gave me a set of j.e b1 440 pistons. He sold all his drag racing stuff but had these left over. And owed me some money... Will and indy head work with these pistons?.. he said the valve relief was different but he wasnt sure by how much.. or can they be fly cut?

Last edited:
A buddy of mine gave me a set of j.e b1 440 pistons. He sold all his drag racing stuff but had these left over. Will and indy head work with these pistons?.. he said the valve relief was different but he wasnt sure by how much.. or can they be fly cut?
The valve centerline on a B1 head is moved toward the centerline of the bore. Indy heads 440-1 and lower are in the stock location. It really depends on the camshaft you want to use. Normally they need to be re-notched.

I was using indy as an example.. i know nothing about this b1 stuff. Was just wondering if anyone has been down this road before

The valve centerline on a B1 head is moved toward the centerline of the bore. Indy heads 440-1 and lower are in the stock location. It really depends on the camshaft you want to use. Normally they need to be re-notched.
Depends on which head the pistons were designed for. The B1 BS has stock location and angles. As noted the B1 Originals are relocated. As long as there is sufficient material in the piston, the notches can be re-cut. Mock up is the only way to know for sure.

I think what fbs63 is saying is "Yes, you can use those pistons if you have B1 heads OR if you're running a mild cam where the piston valve reliefs don't really matter"

These are the slugs
ad_1490651489874.jpg
ad_1490651620428.jpg

indy 440-1 heads have a 15 degree angle and 572-13 have a 13 degree angle.
B1 pistons wont work with either of these heads. Not sure if this helps.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure if they could be trimmed up with the fly cutter.. maybe just hunt down a set of b1's.. theres no panic

Last edited:
Wasn't sure its they could be trimmed up with the fly cutter.. maybe just hunt down a set of b1's.. theres no panic
Those look like very generous reliefs. The b1 head has a large valve. A conventional head with a smaller valve might work as is. Milling is always an option.

Later '80's I built a low deck 452 with original style B1 pistons. Didn't have finances for the B1's, so ran 906's & 915's with 2.14/1.81 and a 650 ish [email protected] cam. The valve pockets on the B1's are large diameter & deep. Don't recall the angle being a problem, but....

That's around the same cam i was figuring... keep the lift 650 to 670 ish and a roller

I have a set of -1 Wiseco pistons out of the motor right now if you want some measurements for comparison?

That would be great if you we willing to do so
I guess I could Play Doh the top and let it harden then put in small USPS box for you if you want. Just cover shipping! Then you can lay over your piston and see the difference.

I guess I could Play Doh the top and let it harden then put in small USPS box for you if you want. Just cover shipping! Then you can lay over your piston and see the difference.
I would be more than willing to do that.. its much appreciated

Auto Transport Service
Back