• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back seat with roll bar?

BobH

Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
I'm going to be putting an eight point roll bar in my '66 Satellite. When I was looking a while back I remember seeing one that specifically said it would fit with the rear seat. Of course, I don't remember the manufacturer. Not planning on running with a rear seat now but I might want to in the future. So the question is does anybody know what will work?

Maybe Lemonwedge will chime in I know he posted about installing 1 in his 67 B body,

To retain the rear seat, the download bars to the rear off the main hoop are longer, run along the top of the rear side windows, and then drop down thru the package tray into the trunk.
Because of the extra length and the bend, it isn't as strong or safe as a straight rear bar that goes thru the seat back area.
The rear down bars have to be specially formed to go over a rear seat.

My roll bar rear bars are above the back seat, go through the package tray to the rear shackle area. The back seat is a PITA to install or remove, but can be done.

Competition Engineering
(says 68-74 B-body, I assume it can fit early & later years too)
makes an 8 pt rollbar/cage kit
with minor mods/bends make it follow the roof some
I moved them a bit more towards the top of the rollbars
top curve/bends too
went straight-ish/level-ish with a slight downward angle 5* (?)
from the rollbar, for like 18"s, then bend/bent down
to go thru the package tray near the rear of it
they could be made to work

My buddy that worked for Chris Alston Chassiworks
said not a problem with rules or strength

(IIRC I bought an extra 20' of 1-3/4" 0.120" wall pipe {overkill}
locally, to do the rear bars, custom application
)
People in the back won't be comfortable or have any safe headroom
unless they are small children or midgets
but you can have a seat & seat back
(IIRC my rollbar was farther back right in-front of the wheel tubs
& was interfering with the seat bottom too,
I assume an easy mod to the seat frame/bottom of the seat...

I had one in my old silver 68 RR,
rear bars went thru the rear of the package tray
I didn't run a rear seat, but could have if I wanted
sorry no photos, car is long gone back in Sept. 2007

I'm not sure it's still the exact same part either...

click on photo has part #s
Competition Engineering 8 pt B-Body Cage cee-3128-k_w.jpg

Competition Engineering 8 pt roll bar 68-74 RR C3128.jpg

Competition Engineering Roll bar Strut kit C3000.jpg

Mine isn’t a kit, and is in a 70RR but might give you some ideas. It’s chromoly and an 8.50 cert cage but the same principles apply. If you can find someone to TIG weld, chromoly will save you a lot of weight. The entire 8.50 cert cage with swing out door bars wasn’t much heavier than the mild steel DOM 6pt roll bar I cut out.

3237A9E6-56EF-4557-9C95-69995F809309.jpeg 89367EAE-77B0-4980-91FD-868D24B8D942.jpeg 58420598-0641-40F6-9CC6-2EB17BA93BBB.jpeg 5F5A0060-106B-40C3-8F77-DC1BAB175195.jpeg

100_0429.JPG

Not a lot to see at this point, it's still pretty early in the process. I'm building the car to go do dragweek and may or may not run fast enough to need an 8 point bar to be legal, but I'd like to have it in any case for safety.

As others have said, the rear bars just need to go through the package tray. I had mine custom bent to follow the roof & glass line. The tough part is getting the seat back in around the main hoop. It is a major PIA. I then did a minitub, which was really tough because I couldn’t get the seat out past the main hoop. And I didn’t add the kicker bars; with those, forget it.

in the end, I’m glad I did it this way because I like the full interior look, but I certainly understand those that said screw the rear seat.

8812EA1C-58B9-4A24-8EF7-3A4720532F09.jpeg 9BB36E96-4A56-4493-BC7B-250293A8C16A.jpeg F2507100-2281-4CDE-BD2E-70FA7B988F21.jpeg

Consider having a chassis shop build one for you. My local race shop custom tailored one to my car including keeping arm rests on the doors and keeping the back seat as well as little touches like matching the B piller angle. Very happy with what they came up with!

Screenshot_20210501-181000~2.png

As Hemirunner said. Mine isn't a kit either. We custom made every bar. Mine is all chromoly and 25.5 (7.50 cert) with full interior with back seat. I have 2 down bars that go from the main thru my rear seat bottom down to my front leaf spring perch pockets. First 2 is showing the rear seat. The rest are just giving other ideas to do rear speaker tray bars.
The cooler is mounted to the cage. It is for my Cool Shirt fire suit for the track and beer/pop/waters for the cruise nights/car shows.

20150504_074723 (2).jpg 20150504_074614 (2).jpg 100_1665.jpg IMG_54331.jpg

The cooler is mounted to the cage. It is for my Cool Shirt fire suit for the track and beer/pop/waters for the cruise nights/car shows.
1227819[/ATTACH]

that’s the coolest thing I’ve seen in a race car maybe ever…. No pun intended.

4FFE3E32-1B0A-4398-B303-366CDA762D6B.jpeg

that’s the coolest thing I’ve seen in a race car maybe ever…. No pun intended.

View attachment 1227880
My Son bought it for me for Christmas one year. Works awesome on a 95 degree day having ice cold water pumped through your shirt while sitting in the staging lane is refreshing. It comes with 12' hoses so you can actually get out of the car and walk around and even work on the car while still hooked up.

coolshirt_club_system_complete.jpg

My Son bought it for me for Christmas one year. Works awesome on a 95 degree day having ice cold water pumped through your shirt while sitting in the staging lane is refreshing. It comes with 12' hoses so you can actually get out of the car and walk around and even work on the car while still hooked up.

View attachment 1227881
We rigged up a home made version into the seat of our Lemons car. It works great and was cheap to make.

619D484E-9C87-4B9C-8A34-46499C0363E5.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back