• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back space

Ronald Weishaar

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the back space on a 15" steelie, 8 1/2" wide, would be for a 1965 Dodge Coronet with stock 8 3/4 rear?

Most factory wheels,15x7 has a 4 1/4'' backspace. 8'' 4 1/2'' backspace steel wheels. Now you are getting close to the leaf spring depending on tire size.
8 1/2'' It can be either 4 1/2'' or as much as 4 3/4''. But when it comes to aftermarket wheels it is hard to say if it will fit with out rubbing.Next is the size of the tire. On my early B's I run 15x7 275/60 tire without the fear of rubbing.
Now Chryslers tolerance levels have a wide range so no 2 cars are the exact same.
The 15x7 4 1/4'' backspace 275/60 fit fine on my 65. On my 63 they rubbed the leaf spring on the passenger side.
Hard call for sure to say.

Most factory wheels,15x7 has a 4 1/4'' backspace. 8'' 4 1/2'' backspace steel wheels. Now you are getting close to the leaf spring depending on tire size.
8 1/2'' It can be either 4 1/2'' or as much as 4 3/4''. But when it comes to aftermarket wheels it is hard to say if it will fit with out rubbing.Next is the size of the tire. On my early B's I run 15x7 275/60 tire without the fear of rubbing.
Now Chryslers tolerance levels have a wide range so no 2 cars are the exact same.
The 15x7 4 1/4'' backspace 275/60 fit fine on my 65. On my 63 they rubbed the leaf spring on the passenger side.
Hard call for sure to say.

I was looking at some of the wheel charts that recommend a wheel width of 8 1/2" to 9" for my 255/60R-15. Now confused as to what size wheel and back space to order.

This is absolutely NOT directed at Darter6 (he absolutely knows what he is talking about!) but i would do my own measuring before i ordered wheels, especially custom ones.
I have two, wait three, wheels that i use on my 62, which i think has a very similar wheelwell to a 65. One set is on a factory ramcharger 15x8 steelie,if i remember correctly a 4" bs, (its written down, but 200 miles away) that is too close to the fender to get more than a 255/70x15 on (i like tall tires). I also have a 10.5x28 slick, on a 15x8.5 centerline that barely fits, its tight to fender and spring. It has a 4 7/8 bs, BUT, i had to make two different width spacers for each side to center it properly, .300 on one side .350 on the other. Third set is a 10x28 slick on a 16x8 1/2 tt2 with 4 1/2 bs. That tire fits nice.
General consensus here, is that a 15x8 or 8 1/2 with 4 1/2 backspace seems to fit most of our cars the best, on the back. But that is a general consensus. You would be best off doing your own measuring.
And personally, i wouldnt worry about a 255 on a seven inch rim, or a 275 on an eight. Works fine.

Yep what he said ^^^ And you will find 9 times out of 10 one side fits better than the other.

This is absolutely NOT directed at Darter6 (he absolutely knows what he is talking about!) but i would do my own measuring before i ordered wheels, especially custom ones.
I have two, wait three, wheels that i use on my 62, which i think has a very similar wheelwell to a 65. One set is on a factory ramcharger 15x8 steelie,if i remember correctly a 4" bs, (its written down, but 200 miles away) that is too close to the fender to get more than a 255/70x15 on (i like tall tires). I also have a 10.5x28 slick, on a 15x8.5 centerline that barely fits, its tight to fender and spring. It has a 4 7/8 bs, BUT, i had to make two different width spacers for each side to center it properly, .300 on one side .350 on the other. Third set is a 10x28 slick on a 16x8 1/2 tt2 with 4 1/2 bs. That tire fits nice.
General consensus here, is that a 15x8 or 8 1/2 with 4 1/2 backspace seems to fit most of our cars the best, on the back. But that is a general consensus. You would be best off doing your own measuring.
And personally, i wouldnt worry about a 255 on a seven inch rim, or a 275 on an eight. Works fine.

I thought it would be difficult to answer. I usually measure and then order. Just was hoping I could save some time and have the wheels painted, tires mounted and ready when I needed them. Car is on a rotisserie with no rear to measure right now. Thank you all for trying to answer such a broad generic question.

I told this story many times. I was fortunate to have a chance to set and speak with the God Father of the 426 Hemi,Tom Hoover. I asked about engineering tolarences at Chrysler. He answered "Very critical,+ or - about 2 inches "I had to do a double take to see if he was joking !

I believe that for sure ( plus or minus ). The 15 x 8 Ramcharger wheels are 4 1/4 on the backside , same as the 15 x 7 steel wheels. Most 15 x 8 aftermarket steel wheels are 4 1/2 on the backside ( most , check to make sure ). Also the 255-60-15 should be fine on a 15 x 7 but most people use the 15 x 8 to let it lay out more.

Frank

Also , ( I forgot to ask ) what hubcap are you planning ton using on this 1965 Dodge Coronet ?

Frank

9 3/4" dog dish
Ronald I run 15 x 7 wheel with 8" slicks 4.5" backspace. Remember wheels are measured inside the outside lip (about an inch difference if measured edge to edge). Great clearance to leaf spring and inside edge of fender. Also ran 15 x 8 wheels with 9" licks with no room to armorall the tires at the top! LOl! left good spacing at leaf springs (64 Plymouth) but I didn't like how close the slicks were to the rear fender.

Auto Transport Service
Back