• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back to the well

CoronetDarter

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
It never fails, after taking hundreds of photos and jotting down pages of notes there are parts of the Coronet tear down that were not well documented. So I'm back again asking FBBO members for guidance.

The picture below is a closeup of the roof rail molding where it ends at the rear side window. The end of the outer stainless steel molding terminates just before the curved chrome piece; the orientation doesn't seem right to me, like the molding should tuck in behind. But then the holes in the roof rail won't align with the roof holes. So is this OK the way it is?

IMG_2624.jpg

Back to the above picture, there is almost a 1/2" gap between the outer lip of the molding and the drip rail. I have the drip rail molding and I think once it's snapped in place it will look OK from the side. Does anything go inside gap, like weather stripping or is it supposed to be exposed? If someone could take close up pics of their car for reference it would be much appreciated.

I'm installing the quarter glass and roof rail weather strip tomorrow morning - gonna go with what I got.

On my 70 Road Runner post car, the roof rail molding "pinched" the outer drip rail curved trip piece between it and the body of the car. It then went on past the curved drip rail trim piece and terminated inside the quarter panel. There IS weather stripping that gets pinched between the roof rail molding and the car.

I'm sure I did a really crappy description above, but couldn't think of a better way to say it....:iamwithstupid:

On my 70 Road Runner post car, the roof rail molding "pinched" the outer drip rail curved trip piece between it and the body of the car. It then went on past the curved drip rail trim piece and terminated inside the quarter panel. There IS weather stripping that gets pinched between the roof rail molding and the car.

I'm sure I did a really crappy description above, but couldn't think of a better way to say it....:iamwithstupid:

Thanks Hawk. The drip rail molding may be the missing piece to the puzzle. The foam rubber has been glued down to the spine of the the roof rail molding. I also have the roof rail molding weather stripping that seals the top of the side windows - the trial fit was just OK. I saved the original 40+ year old rubber and it still fits better than the rebop. The quarter windows are going in regardless; then I'll wrestle with the moldings. I think rebuilding the engine would be less time consuming!

Thanks Hawk. The drip rail molding may be the missing piece to the puzzle. The foam rubber has been glued down to the spine of the the roof rail molding. I also have the roof rail molding weather stripping that seals the top of the side windows - the trial fit was just OK. I saved the original 40+ year old rubber and it still fits better than the rebop. The quarter windows are going in regardless; then I'll wrestle with the moldings. I think rebuilding the engine would be less time consuming!

I hear you! Getting this stuff to fit well is a royal pain in the butt. I am still working on mine, and my side windows. They are in, but they don't roll up and down well because something must be off just a little bit. These things are definitely something that has to be tinkered with. They come out quick and easy, but go in tough!

Auto Transport Service
Back