• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back up lights on 1973 Charger have no power to the light bulb socket

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:43 PM
Reaction score
Have a 1973 Doge Charger and neither back up light socket has power coming to it. The car will crank over in neutral and park so don't think its the neutral safety switch. All other rear lights work. Ant suggestions?

Cranking has nothing to do with the backup lights. The switch outer pins are for the backup lights. Unplug it and with the key on you should have power on one of the outer terminals on the plug. If no power you need to track it back. Possible fuse. If there is power make a jumper and jump the outer two terminals of the plug. You should have power to the light sockets. If not you will have to find the break in the circuit.

what would indicate the Nuetral safety witch is bad?

Center pin of the switch is for neutral it should have continuity from the pin to the trans case when in neutral position if not the start relay will not have a ground preventing starting in gear. The two outer pins should have continuity when in reverse position. As stated above disconnect the switch connector at the trans and with the switch in run position jumper the two outside terminals on the connector the reverse light should come on.

Last edited:
just replied at the electrical section where I read your question first, but pretty much the same as mentioned

My 72 had a similar problem after its trans was rebuilt. I believe they put in the wrong rooster tail for the neutral safety when they changed the valve body (just a guess). It cranks on neutral and park however. I ended up putting micorswitch on the B&M shifter for reverse, and now it has lights.

Auto Transport Service
Back