• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Backward C stamp? What does this mean?

am3rican

Local time
8:40 PM
Reaction score
I was putting the radiator back together and decided to wipe off the stamp pad on the engine. I know the motor is an E-Code 440 but the backward "C" was covered over by grime, so I never noticed it. I tried doing my own research but i've read differing things. How long was this stamping used for because it is not referenced on moparts.org as a stamp? Can someone tell me with this means?

DSCN0177[1].jpg

I doubt that..

It must mean something though.

For real? So the c was mistakenly backward stamped?

I bet it being backwards was just a lazy line worker...sure wouldn't be the first thing i've found in my car from a lazy auto worker and just plain not caring. For example as delivered from the factory inner door paint with a run, poor welds, inconsistent or missing welds...etc

No, It Isn't A Mistake! I've Seen That Backwards C Before! I Remember Someone Along Time Ago Telling Me That It Was A Designated 440 Six Pac Block! Don't Know If Its True or Not!

No, It Isn't A Mistake! I've Seen That Backwards C Before! I Remember Someone Along Time Ago Telling Me That It Was A Designated 440 Six Pac Block! Don't Know If Its True or Not!
That's a new one to me....but I haven't been a 6 pac fanatic either but from the limited experience I have had with them, I don't recall any inverted 'C' stamped on them. Actually, the block is no different than the others that were cast during the run of same year blocks. Only the stampings like HP or HP2 made the difference. Now this is a reach but maybe the inverted C stood for a block that came with 6 pac rods? The 4 bbl hi-po engines started using 6 pac rods for the 70 model year but about the only way to tell that was by the harmonic balancer that came on them since they were external balance.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I found this surfing around the net and is from a posting that was made in 2003 from a service bulletin......but does not mention anything about the C being inverted.

A new piston will be incorporated into production on the 440 C.I.D. standard engine late in 1971 production.This piston is lighter than the early piston so requires a new crankshaft.
Severe engine vibration will result if the early crankshaft or piston is used in these engines. The engines will be identified with the letter "C" on the identification pad on the top, adjacent to the left block and tappet rail.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1971/D71-9-8.jpg

That's a new one to me....but I haven't been a 6 pac fanatic either but from the limited experience I have had with them, I don't recall any inverted 'C' stamped on them. Actually, the block is no different than the others that were cast during the run of same year blocks. Only the stampings like HP or HP2 made the difference. Now this is a reach but maybe the inverted C stood for a block that came with 6 pac rods? The 4 bbl hi-po engines started using 6 pac rods for the 70 model year but about the only way to tell that was by the harmonic balancer that came on them since they were external balance.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I found this surfing around the net and is from a posting that was made in 2003 from a service bulletin......but does not mention anything about the C being inverted.

A new piston will be incorporated into production on the 440 C.I.D. standard engine late in 1971 production.This piston is lighter than the early piston so requires a new crankshaft.
Severe engine vibration will result if the early crankshaft or piston is used in these engines. The engines will be identified with the letter "C" on the identification pad on the top, adjacent to the left block and tappet rail.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1971/D71-9-8.jpg

This posting just confuses me more. The block is from 1969. I'm not sure why stampings from 70 or 71 would be on an ecode block. I've been told and read that it's a stamping error, but I've also read that the inverted C was only stamped in 69 1/2 and was replaced by the HP and HP2 stamps. I wish I could find a resource to confirm this.

Last edited:
.... but I've also read that the inverted C was only stamped in 69 1/2 and was replaced by the HP and HP2 stamps. I wish I could find a resource to confirm this.

That is an urban legend. A reverse C does NOT indicate a six pack assembly. This can be easily proven by finding this marking on any non-Lynch Road plant block for 69.

Your pad does not have the HP stamp which indicates to me the engine came from a C body. This can be verified by looking at the VIN stamp on the block. If it is from a C body, that is definitive proof that the C does not indicate a six pack assembly. Even a 70 6BBL Fury GT would have the HP stamp.

This posting just confuses me more. The block is from 1969. I'm not sure why stampings from 70 or 71 would be on an ecode block. I've been told and read that it's a stamping error, but I've also read that the inverted C was only stamped in 69 1/2 and was replaced by the HP and HP2 stamps. I wish I could find a resource to confirm this.
I mainly posted this to mention when a 'C' was used in a stamping....one that wasn't inverted. Personally, I've never ever heard of a letter being inverted unless it was a flub up. I've even seen numbers inverted. This stuff was hand stamped and mistakes were made....and sometimes on purpose. In the mid 70's I worked in a steel mill for 6 months of that was in the roll shop where the rolls for rolling steel were refurbished and stamped with the company name. Guess who had the stamp job. Yours truly and yes, sometimes I messed up and once the stamp is in there, it's there. You don't re-machine the roll just because the name is speeeel ARMOC or RAMCO instead of ARMCO :D

I say as the others did....
the line worker had the C backwards...

Lots of goof ups on the Line, across the board...GM, FORD, Mopar etc...

I was putting the radiator back together and decided to wipe off the stamp pad on the engine. I know the motor is an E-Code 440 but the backward "C" was covered over by grime, so I never noticed it. I tried doing my own research but i've read differing things. How long was this stamping used for because it is not referenced on moparts.org as a stamp? Can someone tell me with this means?

View attachment 146961

Team,

I just got a block this week that was confirmed via VIN from a six-pack unit, and it does have the C. 1969. I'll get all the details off of it when I get back over there tomorrow.

I tried crawling under the car to check the cast number on the oil pan pad. I'm too fat :sad8: I should have checked the numbers when I had the car on the lift.

I checked the numbers on the 6-pack carbs though. They are D1565 3406B. Easy enough to swap 6-pack to a 440 so doesn't mean much.

EDIT:

I plan to take the car to get tuned next month. I'll have them check all the numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

I mainly posted this to mention when a 'C' was used in a stamping....one that wasn't inverted. Personally, I've never ever heard of a letter being inverted unless it was a flub up. I've even seen numbers inverted. This stuff was hand stamped and mistakes were made....and sometimes on purpose. In the mid 70's I worked in a steel mill for 6 months of that was in the roll shop where the rolls for rolling steel were refurbished and stamped with the company name. Guess who had the stamp job. Yours truly and yes, sometimes I messed up and once the stamp is in there, it's there. You don't re-machine the roll just because the name is speeeel ARMOC or RAMCO instead of ARMCO :D

Yea I am convinced that you are right and that it was a mis-stamp. I guess part of my confusion was that the decoders I've seen don't list "C" as a stamping option.

Diamond = 0.008-in. oversize tappets
Maltese Cross = 0.001-in. undersized crankshaft
Maltese Cross and an X = 0.010 undersized crankshaft
A = 0.020-in. oversized cylinder bore
B = 0.010-in. undersized main and rod bearings
E = cast crankshaft
H = standard 4bbl
HP = high performance
LC = low compression
O.S. = 0.005 oversized valve stems
P = premium fuel recommended
R = regular grade fuel may be used
S = special engine
WT or TW = water test
X = oversized valve guides

maybe the engine plant worker for that shift wanted to make his "mark" as a signature.

Was a solution ever found for this cause my 440 has the inverted "C" too

well Ive been looking for the answer to this for a bit now..On and off mostly. but this and 1 or 2 other places are the only times this has ever been mentioned. Its odd that there are quite a few of the inverted "C" blocks out there( or at least lots of people with questions about it). there are no real solid answers though. So far ive heard everthing from "six pack block" or or six pack short block, to custom Cam install. im just curious if an answer was ever found cause at this point theres just to many of these for it to be a guy not knowing how to hold the punch.

well Ive been looking for the answer to this for a bit now..On and off mostly. but this and 1 or 2 other places are the only times this has ever been mentioned. Its odd that there are quite a few of the inverted "C" blocks out there( or at least lots of people with questions about it). there are no real solid answers though. So far ive heard everthing from "six pack block" or or six pack short block, to custom Cam install. im just curious if an answer was ever found cause at this point theres just to many of these for it to be a guy not knowing how to hold the punch.
More likely to be a Line worker not paying 100% attention to his task.

Auto Transport Service
Back