• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad brake Booster, Performanceonline.com .....what to buy ?

rustytoolss

Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
When I got my 62 fury , the PO had updated it to power disc brake from Performance online.com (he sent to paper work.) Everything look good. But after driving the car, I do not have much power assist from the brake booster. I'm going to check it out even more. I did check the MC/ it's fine, bleed all brakes. Just not much assist.
If the booster is bad where would you buy a replacement booster/ or new kit ? The kit is a conversion 1963-1974 #BB-6374 , came with Booster/MC/ adjustable brake valve/ residual valve, brackets etc. Just sure if I should replace everything, or just the booster and where to get a good booster. Ta 8" dual booster, that has a large mounting bracket, and the push rod is the bell crank style.
fury14.jpg

Yes I'd start there too. What vac are you getting at idle and cruising speed? (I have around 15"). Next would be check the vac on the booster with a pump-vac gauge...3 tests can be done there. Includes determining if the booster holds vac and check its drain after applying the brakes. My motor has a mild cam and my vac is just about on the threshold with ample vac (installed a vac gauge in my car too). I put in a reserve tank; but those are only good for slight assist. I got a new booster from Summit that wasn't that pricy looks like the same one you have. Anyway see if you find ample vacuum and boost checks...

Add: I don't see the vac line on the booster unless I'm missing it behind the MC, make sure the hose is in good shape not bent too much or collapsing and test the check valve...

Make sure the booster and the check valve are holding vacuum.

Yes I'd start there too. What vac are you getting at idle and cruising speed? (I have around 15"). Next would be check the vac on the booster with a pump-vac gauge...3 tests can be done there. Includes determining if the booster holds vac and check its drain after applying the brakes. My motor has a mild cam and my vac is just about on the threshold with ample vac (installed a vac gauge in my car too). I put in a reserve tank; but those are only good for slight assist. I got a new booster from Summit that wasn't that pricy looks like the same one you have. Anyway see if you find ample vacuum and boost checks...
stock cam, 17-18" idle

Is your booster the same type as this with a large 2pc bracket between the booster and firewall and has a bell crank pedal connection?

Another add...sorry I keep pondering viewing your photo...that bracket is bolted into the booster? The booster needs to be airtight...hope there's no leaking going on at that bolt...
Is your booster the same type as this with a large 2pc bracket between the booster and firewall and has a bell crank pedal connection?
Yes it's a two piece bracket. I don't have the crank (my car was manual brakes) and I should have - my kit was '65-'74. I attributed this to the hassles I had with the pedal. After all the futzing I have things working good w/o it now.

Ignore my top post here - I had deleted it and it came alive again for some reason...I saw the bracket attached from the MC non-issue..

Auto Transport Service
Back