• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad Casting hole in Hemi?

erickson

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:10 AM
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to find out why my Hemi was leaking oil. After replacing gaskets I noticed a small pin hole in the block. I took a small grinder to clean it up. When I took a air nozzle to it I could feel air in side the block I JB welded it no more leaks. This is a 1965 block Anyone else ever seen this before?

130FD285-3BB3-4157-B5C3-6E3354CEC262.jpeg 1B97590F-634E-4958-B11F-83286215ABCE.jpeg

Seen BB heads with VC gasket surfaces so bad that almost nothing would seal them.....

Bad mopar casting? never seen that before

My spare/backup 440 developed a small crack in the outside water jacket (from COLD weather I believe) so I ground the crack open some and filled her up with JB. That was 15/20 years ago. Still holds water. Ain't epoxy great!
Mike
Spare 440.JPG

A permanent fix would be using this specialty rod and weld it cold. Unhook the battery before you weld. Do what you can to prevent anything from getting in the engine. Welds easy. Need a stig or they likely have tig as well. We've done a fair amount of cast iron welding. This is the best we found. Since your just dealing w porosity and not a crack..shouldn't need much prep. Get it clean and weld, grind and repaint it.
https://www.muggyweld.com/product/77-cast-iron-welding-rod/

My spare/backup 440 developed a small crack in the outside water jacket (from COLD weather I believe) so I ground the crack open some and filled her up with JB. That was 15/20 years ago. Still holds water. Ain't epoxy great!
Mike
View attachment 971651
:thumbsup:

A permanent fix would be using this specialty rod and weld it cold. Unhook the battery before you weld. Do what you can to prevent anything from getting in the engine. Welds easy. Need a stig or they likely have tig as well. We've done a fair amount of cast iron welding. This is the best we found. Since your just dealing w porosity and not a crack..shouldn't need much prep. Get it clean and weld, grind and repaint it.
https://www.muggyweld.com/product/77-cast-iron-welding-rod/
Well, Mike above says his has been holding 15/20 years now with the epoxy fix. I can understand where in some areas, epoxy might not work very well but I'm going to try that first. And there are some really good epoxies out there....

That's a bad cup I bet it taste like s__ t. Just my opinion
:rofl:Was wondering if someone was going to post that lol

Jb weld works great always helps to have something to bite into. Should work easily if it just has crank case pressure behind it, I would jb weld first, if that doesnt hold...stitch weld.

Just took it out for a 50 mile drive and beat on it hard. No oil leaking

Auto Transport Service
Back