• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bad valley pan?

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
So I went to put my intake on and started 2 bolts on one side then went to the other side and it would not go.So I pull up the intake and look at pan. Bolt holes look tight but looks like it should work. Try again and no go,so I pull the valley pan of and set intake on and I was able to put 2 bolts on each side. Felpro valley pan for 1970 440. It was a little banged up when I got it from summit but not that bad. Is Felpro junk now? I have never had this problem with an intake before.

Have you had any block machining done? Decked? Does the intake line up without the pan set in place?

Fel pro have been fine for me , used a couple past year.
Are your heads milled ? Intake or block deck cut ? are you useing paper gaskets along with the pan ?
If its {banged up}I would not use it.

no block work or decking. I can start bolts on both side with no VP.

Just VP no gaskets,I never used gaskets.

So I went to put my intake on and started 2 bolts on one side then went to the other side and it would not go.So I pull up the intake and look at pan. Bolt holes look tight but looks like it should work. Try again and no go,so I pull the valley pan of and set intake on and I was able to put 2 bolts on each side. Felpro valley pan for 1970 440. It was a little banged up when I got it from summit but not that bad. Is Felpro junk now? I have never had this problem with an intake before.

Were the end rails bolted down with the pan on?

Got to ask........ you do not possibly have a B pan going on a RB or vise versa

Well, that is odd. I have installed a few intakes and the only alignment issue was a 440 that was decked and the heads were done. But the intake was purchased after the machine work. The alignment was not terrible but the VP still fit. One bolt hole was a little off.

ordered from Summit and now that is what I was thinking.

took of stock 440 intake and installing edlebrock 6 pack intake

Well Ill be dipped.. There is a different part number.. I stand corrected.

383/400
Fel-Pro Performance Valley Pan Gasket Sets 1214

413/440
Fel-Pro Performance Valley Pan Gasket Sets 1215

Didnt think there was a difference in B/RB Valley pans.. When you order a gasket set its the same part number.

Well since you can not swap intakes I just figured the pans would not.

Thats the right one, No heat block offs but should fit fine as long as nothings been cut / milled on your engine.
You said it was banged up a little ? If any of the runners sealing surface is dinged up I would get another pan.

Use your valley bars and tighten it down on each end with no sealer, set the intake on and press it down just by hand just to form fit the pan to the heads.
If your stock intake is sitting there set it on and see if the holes line up and you can start bolts on each side to test fit.
If it will and then the eddy wont allow you to get bolts started you have found your problem.

If its a used intake its prob been milled if it still will not fit, not the end of the world a sandwich of felpro paper gaskets on each side may get you right there. Also there are many modified aluminum intakes with oblong bolt holes that work just fine.
If your eddy is new out of the box dont cut on it. try adding the paper gaskets till you find out whats going on. Once you get it to were you can get the bolts in pull it loose and get your sealer on the corners ect.

P1020779.JPG
So I did a dry run with the old valley pan and intake and was able to get all 4 end bolts in. this is the old valley pan why is one side blocked off?

Never seen just one side blocked off. Usually those ports are blocked off to keep the exhaust heat from coming up and heating the intake...

View attachment 945051 So I did a dry run with the old valley pan and intake and was able to get all 4 end bolts in. this is the old valley pan why is one side blocked off?

That looks like crud / carbon blocking the heat hole on that one side.
If your running a oem style choke out of the choke well you will want those open.
If not then get the pan they are blocked on.

Set your old intake on your new pan after you have the end bars snug and see what you get.

Auto Transport Service
Back