• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Balancing red line bias ply tires

mrbone

Local time
10:25 AM
Reaction score
How are ya'll balancing you're fancy new 'red line' tires?

I just purchased a new pair and mounted them on 6in rims and this is what they gave me..?!
This after I brought it home and turned the tire on the rim 90 degrees. Then had them balance it again.
My other wheel is a little better but nearly as bad.
Before this, I tried 10oz of anti-freeze, but it had a shimmy at exactly 45mph through 50mph.
Wasn't real smooth at high speeds over 80mph either.

What do you guys think?

EAD98F9E-D565-4E9F-BE05-D48C2E212885.jpeg

Last edited:
I have less than 2 ounces on any wheel and these old (1978) cast wheels had always been a bugger to balance. All balance weights on the back side of the wheel to boot this time. When I had Michelin radials on a couple wheels had a good 8 ounces of stick ons on them so the Goodyear redlines are actually moulded better or my guy got better at balancing after 20 years, because he did both sets of tires some 19 years apart!
beerestoration2017 798.JPG
beerestoration2017 799.JPG
beerestoration2017 805.JPG

I had the same issue, broke it down and spun the wheel and found it was the problem.

I think it's either a)time for different rims or b)time for a different balancing company.

AH.. now there's a picture I'm sorry but is the guy fired yet, or are they trying to give you a hint that they'd rather mount the tire AND balance it.

Weights directly opposite of each other is conclusive proof that the guy doing the balancing doesn't know what the heck he is doing! But that doesnt mean that there isnt a problem with the wheel or tire.
Edit: goodyear repops, or firestone? From where? Get pictures to send them if you need to return them.

1. Make sure the wheel is straight.
  2. male sure the tire is good-maybe return them
  3. Find a different balance guy.

Already #3 is a big problem! But something else is wrong with wheel or tire.

you don’t need trick equipment this is basic tire balancing, Find the problem!

Last edited:
Spin the wheel up first to see how out of balance it is.
How are ya'll balancing you're fancy new 'red line' tires?

I just purchased a new pair and mounted them on 6in rims and this is what they gave me..?!
This after I brought it home and turned the tire on the rim 90 degrees. Then had them balance it again.
My other wheel is a little better but nearly as bad.
Before this, I tried 10oz of anti-freeze, but it had a shimmy at exactly 45mph through 50mph.
Wasn't real smooth at high speeds over 80mph either.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 997883
Did you see what you are doing? Weights on exact opposite sides of the wheel. :BangHead::BangHead:

If you feel the tire is going to take too much weight do what chtampa suggested and spin the tire on the rim a half turn. Oh I see someone else is doing the balancing. Yes he needs to be fired! What a dweeb!!!!!!!

1. Make sure the wheel is straight.
  2. male sure the tire is good-maybe return them
  3. Find a different balance guy.
Already #3 is a big problem!

could be #1 and #2 also.
I see #3 as the biggest problem.

I've never seen that kind of weight on a rim before. Is this a joke?

My advice is to find another tire shop and not a chain store. Use a shop that's been in business for a long time and only does tires.

I bet you if you mount that wheel on your car and drive it over 25 mph it will shake the glove box door open. That is if the weights don't catch on the caliper or fly off. What a joke!

I've never seen that kind of weight on a rim before. Is this a joke?

My advice is to find another tire shop and not a chain store. Use a shop that's been in business for a long time and only does tires.

I bet you if you mount that wheel on your car and drive it over 25 mph it will shake the glove box door open. That is if the weights don't catch on the caliper or fly off. What a joke!
1 ounce at 60 mph exerts a force of 8# on the heavy side of the tire.

This whole posting is due to someone not wanting to see the weight on the outside of the wheel. Not because they don't want it balanced.
Like balancing a crankshaft, you put the weight where it is needed not where you want it. No matter how "good " you are, you can't change the law of physics only try to fool it. Remember that garbage in garbage out. Lie to the balancing machine and it will just lie back to you.
Look at an OEM restoration and the weights will be on both sides of the wheel. Look at any high performance car, race car and you will see the weights.
Problem . To properly balance a tire, the weights must be on opposite sides of the wheel. This is called dynamic balancing. The wheel will want to do 2 things when spinning.
#1 Static imbalance, the wheel wants to hop opposite the heavy end of the tire/wheel.
#2 Dynamic imbalance, the wheel wants to wobble due to side imbalance.
Remember that until the electronic balancers became common in the early seventies, balancing was done with a bubble balancer. If you are younger than 40-50 you probably don't even know what that is. It was what it sounds like, using a leveling bubble to equalize the weight when laying the tire flat. Very crude but remember that the suspension systems were relatively crude, tires and wheels were narrow and most driving was done at lower speeds. High speed balancing was generally done on the car. This took experienced people to do and was very dangerous.
I got my start in the tire business back in 69-70 just when wider tires were becoming more available. Before then, guys would use old racing tires on the streets to get the wide look. Not DOT rated and didn't last very long at all. A lot of s/w failures.
Just tell the tire shop that you want the tires balanced properly and see what happens then. Not,"can you balance them with all the weights on the back ?" If you do that, your wheel will look like the one in the picture. Look closely and you will see that the weights are on the outer edge of the rim on one side and the inner edge of the rim on the other. Not really operator error, just trying to do it by not telling the balancing machine the proper information and the balancing machine trying do something that is based on false information.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9LvCl1VNfMY0AmwEPxQt.;_ylu=Y29sbwNncTEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1599358501/RO=10/RU=https://e-quipfix.co.uk/wheel-balancing-101-static-vs-dynamic-wheel-balancing//RK=2/RS=Z9bjyjwfhlc4pf.Euzn75a_MhyI-

Last edited:
Stick on weights with a steel rim. Clearly they have no idea what they are doing....:mad:

Yes, when you are trying to concentrate a large amount if weight on a small area. Like building a house with 10 bedrooms on a 10' X 10' lot. You can only go up.

Last edited:
Are those the lead-free galvanized steel weights? If so, they weigh about 1/3 less than lead so you need more of them.

You guys are making this waaayy to hard.

Something is wrong with the tires or wheels. Find the problem! I vote he has junk tires.

The balance job sucks but that’s not the real problem, it’s just a sideline.

Not really hard. Look at the picture again closely. The weights are not chasing each other as much as he is trying to dynamically balance the tire only using about 2" of the rims total width.The picture just shows me that somebody didn't want weights on the outside of the wheel. Was it the owners request ? The shops idea ?
The quality of the tire wheel is secondary to what the picture shows. Not too hard really. So what was it mrbone ?
I have had over 40 years of experience with both types of balancers.
Take it all off, set the machine up properly and then you can determine if the tire needs to be rotated on the rim to line up the heavy spots and then go from there.
It is more likely a bad rim then a bad tire. But don't try to fool the machine, you only fool yourself.

static.balance.jpg

Last edited:
Take all the weights off the lighter stack and the same amount off the heavy stack and it should be close to being in balance. You can chase weight between both sides like this all day long. Just think about what is happening here! I see Moparleo just disagreed but he doesn't have a clue what is going on here! @Scott Engelhardt is the most knowledgeable here about this subject.

balance.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back