• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ballast Resistor 254186

The Rebel

Local time
6:46 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys. Currently I have this # on my car. Looking to get a backup in case mine fails. Was wondering if this one will also work but think it won't as I have an electronic ignition.
upload_2017-8-22_8-43-11.png

upload_2017-8-22_8-36-2.png

Thanks! I've read that if you have a points dist then you need one but if you have an electronic one that a ballast isn't really needed.

It'll work.

Anyone know where I can get a new one. Been looking online & can't seem to find the exact one.

Thanks! How did you determine that is the correct replacement so I can learn from this.

IQUOTE="The Rebel, post: 910749986, member: 25415"]Thanks! How did you determine that is the correct replacement so I can learn from this.[/QUOTE]

If it is two terminal they all work,this is what you should have if you want to be 100% correct

P7220475.JPG

What is your set up? Points or electronic ignition? If electronic, do you want the ballast resistor?

Reread your post... electronic

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate it! I have electronic. So the only difference is that some have 4 terminals & some have 2. So long as I have 2 the shape dosen't mater?

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate it! I have electronic. So the only difference is that some have 4 terminals & some have 2. So long as I have 2 the shape dosen't mater?
Shape has nothing to do with function. Keep the resistance around 1.2

If he wants the correct OE style then you are correct but from the pic he showed in his example then you are incorrect.

I said nothing about his example !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, what I'm saying is you will get variation in resistance from part to part
True but based on his application a stock resistor is adequate....

btw I know you do not know Bill O. 62max but when it comes to Carbs and distributors, either his restoration services from him or just core knowledge there is no one around better......

I know, I showed him where to get what he was looking for an you countered as if I was wrong.

I didn't counter as you were wrong,I just posted a picture of what is correct if it mattered and what will work,shame on me,I'm done !

Auto Transport Service
Back