• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ballast Resistor Over Heating

frank

Local time
9:30 PM
Reaction score
I'm having problems with my ballast resistor (BR) on my 69RR. 383 I do not have electric ignition. It gets so hot that you cannot touch, as I started the car it also started to smoke. If I go ahead and change the ballast resistor it starts right up. I just don't know how to track this problem down. The ballast resistor is mounted right to the firewall with nothing behind it right? I replaces some wires and connected to the alternator had to replace quite a few, but it’s connected. I replaced the alternator, voltage regulator and the ballast resister.

On the new alternator I grounded one of the Terminals (for what that's worth).

they're supposed to be hot when running. new ones may have a little smoke at first.

My next step is to replace the coil and put a new Ballast in, thanks I'll keep you posted.

The ballast is there to protect the coil from over heating & failing.The ballast is used to lower the voltage at the coil......Make sure you are charging at the correct voltage 13.8 to 14.2 volts.....

and you have no other items connected to the power to coil
resisters produce heat if over loaded the will have extreme heat and fail

Sounds like you have too much current thru the ballast resistor and coil.

Too much current means you have too little resistance. You can increase the Ohm-value of the ballast resistor (or the coil).

I've changed out the Coil, Ballast, voltage reg, and the alternator and it's still shorting out. There is a guy in Middletown Del. Herd's Mopar's and parts about 50 miles away. I'm going to have it flat bedded there I’m totaled stumped.

The question is, WHY are the Ballast resistors failing. Changing out parts without troubleshooting will not always solve the problem...You can do a few easy voltage checks.....And it can save you a lot of expense...... Finding the problem is probably the best route to take. You need a test light & Mult-volt meter....So Now we Need more information....1st Check battery voltage...Need a Fully charged Battery.... reading car off 12volts.... Running 13.8 to14.2 volts....Grounds are very important ....must be cleaned & tightened.....so check engine grounds & voltage regulator, alternator to block connection........

I’m guessing ,The overcharge could be the fault for resistor failure & I’ve seen coils also cause it... bad voltage regulator your ballast resistor could be getting too much voltage and smoking the ballast. or it’s not wired correctly... Wrong ballast & or coil combination. Your coil might say what ohms resistor # required...
Take a few pic’s of your system...

'69 ignition with a single ballast resistor, the ballast resistor drops the voltage to the coil after the engine starts.the key to start it bypasses the resistor & there's a full 12 volts going to the ignition coil making for a "hotter" spark & easier starting. When you release the key to "run", the ballast resistor drops the voltage to the coil. This saves the points from burning out.......

IGN switch supplies switched power to the coil resistor, the regulator IGN terminal, and the blue field wire on the alternator .... 12V, or 14V when running...no more than a .5 voltage drop......

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/256/page02.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJKCOlTywg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYfkGx2vIrY&list=PL4ED1E8AB094CD2D7

Pops1967 GTX has his act together. He solved my 69 road runner low charging problem. :)

Richard Ehrenberg
Simple question — complex answer!

The time when the greatest demands are made on the ignition system are during cold-weather cranking. Under these conditions, with engine oil that may be molassas-like, and a battery with maybe 50% of normal-weather cranking capacity, the voltage available to the ignition system may be as low as 8 volts. If the system were designed for 12-13 volts, the output (spark) at 8V would be marginal. And, at low temps, with who-knows-what for an A/F mixture, the hottest spark possible is needed to fire off the system.

What the engineers (mainly Charles Kettering / Delco) devised to fix this was a system optimized for 8 – 9 volts of battery potential. If, however, this were operated on the full, normal ~13V, it would fry quickly, especially the coil and points. Hence, the ballast resistor. What it does, during normal operation, is drop the battery voltage to the required 8 – 9V. It does nothing during cranking – the ignition switch bypasses it.

You didn’t say if your ignition system was 100% stock. If so — including a stock-spec coil — I can only assume you have been using garbagy Chinese ballasts. The stockers lasted half a century, normally. Also be aware that many ballast are changed in vain, when the trouble lies elsewhere — commonly, bulkhead connector problems.

If you have swapped in a high-output coil, that can pull too much current through the ballast, cooking it. The fix is a lower-resistance ballast (the stocker was 0.5 to 0.6 ohms). However, this will reduce breaker point longevity by a significant amount.

If you have swapped to Chrysler-style (1973) electronic ignition, much of the above still applies. If you have an aftermarket system, you’re on your own!

Rick

Auto Transport Service
Back