• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barrett Jackson

erickson

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
I Think I will Resto mod my 1969 Daytona make a $150,000 more then keeping it original what the hell is happening?

B-J isn't reality for most of us mortals. I summarily dismiss whatever happens there. Alternative reality stuff.

This is the current evolution for the car hobby. The market place for original restored cars has been off 25 to 40% of what it was three years ago. People are looking for cars that they can get in and drive with all of the comforts and performance of the modern day Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros retaining the looks of the original car for the most part. High end cars with lots of documentation are still bringing good money, but still off of the market highs. True survivors that are the top 1% of that group is the only Mopars that are actually increasing in pricing.

The Mopars seem to have been hit the hardest in the down turn, but look at the pricing at LS6 Chevelles, COPOs, Boss 9 Mustangs. These cars are off as well. No matter Mecum, Barrett Jackson or private sales, the market is really soft at the current time and with an aging group of collectors and buyers, then I feel that the high water mark has been established and now on a correction of what these cars are actually bringing. Exotics and trucks are really up in pricing.

The bad news is that many owners are upside down on some of these cars and restorations. The good thing is that pricing is now allowing customers to purchase a nicely restored car cheaper than spending thousands of dollars and years of time on restoring cars that years ago we were crushing. Sadly, the cost of restorations continues to climb mostly due to the labor and materials needed in bringing many of these project cars back to life again from the dead.

I saw more Vetted than they ever built. Wing cars for 100 grand?

Sad thing is many of those cars will never be driven. A lot of them really aren't even cars. They're trophies for the uber rich. The restomod thing doesn't appeal to me. If I want a 3rd gen Hemi, I'll buy a newer car.

This is the current evolution for the car hobby. The market place for original restored cars has been off 25 to 40% of what it was three years ago. People are looking for cars that they can get in and drive with all of the comforts and performance of the modern day Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros retaining the looks of the original car for the most part. High end cars with lots of documentation are still bringing good money, but still off of the market highs. True survivors that are the top 1% of that group is the only Mopars that are actually increasing in pricing.

The Mopars seem to have been hit the hardest in the down turn, but look at the pricing at LS6 Chevelles, COPOs, Boss 9 Mustangs. These cars are off as well. No matter Mecum, Barrett Jackson or private sales, the market is really soft at the current time and with an aging group of collectors and buyers, then I feel that the high water mark has been established and now on a correction of what these cars are actually bringing. Exotics and trucks are really up in pricing.

The bad news is that many owners are upside down on some of these cars and restorations. The good thing is that pricing is now allowing customers to purchase a nicely restored car cheaper than spending thousands of dollars and years of time on restoring cars that years ago we were crushing. Sadly, the cost of restorations continues to climb mostly due to the labor and materials needed in bringing many of these project cars back to life again from the dead.

Down turn??? Mopars been hit the hardest??? Down 25-40%??? Look at chargers right now! 20 grand for a 383 project car?? 60-70 grand for a really nice charger R/T. Its not fun anymore... Prices keep going up with no end in sight! Try looking for a project right now... There are no good cars for sale anymore. If one comes up... You better be on it like yesterday if you wanna own one. Roadrunner, charger, gtx, super bee... Be prepared to spend 10 grand minimum... The 62-65 cars can still be bought reasonably, but there next in the price hike.

I do agree you're better off buying a nice car rather than paying for one to get restored. I talked to a guy who had one restored for 100k... That was 5 yrs ago!

Market has changed dramatically in 5 years. Blown Chevys were going pennies on the dollar 5 years ago. Now it’s ok to cut up split window Vettes. Where the hell did all the Vettes and Stangs come from? WTH. Resto mods are suddenly ok. Maybe its generational. I get the Tremec, EFI, and after market air. But widening rare cars? Chub (sold sticker) cutie saved her leathers til Saturday.

Last edited:
Those resto-mods that sold for $150k took $250k or more to build.

Those resto-mods that sold for $150k took $250k or more to build.
I was thinking the same thing, buy the time you factor in the cost of said project car then the money it takes to get it to that level I'm not sure there's much profit made

Like I've always said. Don't build for selling price. Don't build by committee. Build what you want. Many see high $ sales and think there car is worth the same. A car is only worth what the buyer will pay. There is an *** for every seat. Sometimes they spend, sometimes they get a deal.
Doug

I just shake my head when I see these lame people getting bamboozled by the auctioneer to Jack up the prices. Especially when they pause the bidding to "advise" what a special car it is, so you better start ferociously bidding up the car.

One reason that project cars are bringing good money is that ,regardless of the direction one takes, you still need to start with a body. You can go full OE, resto-mod, hot rod driver or day two. Whatever direction you go, you’ll need a starting point.

every time I looked up there was another Vette , mustang or Porsche. the resto mod market has taken over. but people with half a car are still hoping to get 20k for a pile of junk

**** quess its time to cut up my matching numbers 70 RR 440+6 4spd and put in a Viper motor and 6spd with independent suspension and custom interior RIGHT never happen

The bidders at these auctions are normally the ones that "money is no option". They have plenty to burn and it gets to be "look what I just bought!" They'll bring the same car back in a couple of years when they get tired of it.

Also the ones selling them pay a premium for auction fees. That jacks up the price also.

Only old people are interested in the hobby. Old people want to be comfy and do little to no work on the cars....they want to drive them. I know that's why I'm doing a modern setup in my `cuda. I hate driving old cars. They're loud, vibrate, smell, suck gas, and generally require a bunch of attention. My minivan is much nicer to drive, so why not have the looks and comforts/performance/reliability? I have racecars, for when I want loud and fast.

Auto Transport Service
Back