• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery cable ?

Aarons Air

Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
I have a 383 in my car. And a hi torque mini starter. I need a positive battery cable/ harness. I've seen ads with prices from $28 on up. But the ads for the cheapies have a notation saying, hi torque mini starters draw too much amperage for them to work. Do they use a heavier guage wire on the pricier ones, or are they just priced higher ?

Usually more strands of higher quality copper. Sometimes to achieve this the cable ends up thicker depending on it's length and the number of strands required for any given max load. The cable will get warm with continual cranking and mini starters have smaller stator that requires a lot of amperage to work properly. I'd buy the best quality that you can afford especially if you plan to keep the car for a long time.

Usually more strands of higher quality copper. Sometimes to achieve this the cable ends up thicker depending on it's length and the number of strands required for any given max load. The cable will get warm with continual cranking and mini starters have smaller stator that requires a lot of amperage to work properly. I'd buy the best quality that you can afford especially if you plan to keep the car for a long time.
Youre correct about the length & guage. And i do intend to buy a good quality product. But your post doesn't answer my question. I don't believe merely paying more insures higher quality. And the ads i've seen so far don't specify wire guage. Or wether its fine strand or not. I assume thats what you meant by " higher quality copper". Thanks tho.

Unless your really **** about your battery cables, like a lot of people are? I have never had a problem with the Napa cheapo replacements using a mini on either a /6 or a 383. Good Luck

Unless your really **** about your battery cables, like a lot of people are? I have never had a problem with the Napa cheapo replacements using a mini on either a /6 or a 383. Good Luck
Cool ! Thats exactly what i needed to know ! Thank you !

just make sure the use copper not the aluminum crap for wire,thats why there cheap.

I have a 383 in my car. And a hi torque mini starter. I need a positive battery cable/ harness. I've seen ads with prices from $28 on up. But the ads for the cheapies have a notation saying, hi torque mini starters draw too much amperage for them to work. Do they use a heavier guage wire on the pricier ones, or are they just priced higher ?

The gauge is the same but it is the quality of the wire that is different. The cheapo battery cables are cheap tined copper wire and in many cases not stranded as tight as a good quality copper wire

Auto Transport Service
Back