• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery Tray Brace? Help Please

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:49 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1970 Road Runner I am restoring. My car had an angle iron "replacement" battery tray that could have worked well in a tank. While I appreciate the solid construction, I am returning the car to stock.

I mounted the batter tray itself, but I am having trouble getting the battery tray brace to line up. Either I have the wrong brace or my battery tray needs a hole in another location.

Can anybody post a picture of the battery tray brace? Ideal would be a picture of it mounted. Every little bit will help me get this figured out...

Appreciate the help!

Hawk

Hmm,
I have the Dodge Superbee, 1970 year.
I ordered mine from AMD
I dont have pic now but I can get one later.

By the term "brace" you mean the single piece that drops down and bolts to the fender well?

Attachments

• 340-1570_800.jpg
    340-1570_800.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 273
Hmm,
I have the Dodge Superbee, 1970 year.
I ordered mine from AMD
I dont have pic now but I can get one later.

By the term "brace" you mean the single piece that drops down and bolts to the fender well?

Hi Ski,

Thanks. First, the picture of your battery tray is the same as my battery tray. Also, yes, the brace I am talking about attaches from the battery tray (to the top right bolt hole in your picture?) to the inner fender well.

I got mine from 521, here is a URL of the brace I bought...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291023790286?lpid=82&chn=ps

Thanks,

Hawk

Can anyone confirm if it's the same part for a 69 b-body? Mine looks like s*it.

Can anyone confirm if it's the same part for a 69 b-body? Mine looks like s*it.

The battery tray and brace changed in '70, the '69 battery tray is more rectangle shaped, without the tapered end. At least I hope so, because I just bought a new one from AMD and it's not the same. The brace he's looking for the mounting location of is different as well. Going through this right now with my '69 sport satellite, it's about to go in the shop to have the inner fender repaired where it had rusted out on the old battery tray and the PO just moved the battery to the trunk and left a couple of big jagged painted over rusted out holes for me to deal with now that I want the battery back where it belongs.

340-1466_800.jpg

Here we go, found the pic, this is supposed to be the battery tray for 66-69 B Body.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far. So does anyone have a picture of the brace (especially installed would be ideal!)

Thanks,

Hawk

Sorry about the angle and lighting....

car is not here for a more detailed angle for you. Hope this helps. :icon_thumright:

That new brace you have the URL for is not correct. The correct 70 battery tray support brace is the one in these pics. The Chrysler part number is 2800647, and it is the same for a 1968, 1969, 1970 Road Runner. 68 & 69 used 2 of them, and 70 only used 1. If you want a nice used correct original, I am sure I have one. PM me.

Attachments

• 2-6rr (3).jpg
    2-6rr (3).jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 2-6rr (1).jpg
    2-6rr (1).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 2-6rr.jpg
    2-6rr.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 248
Hi Hawk, I think the new trays have the hole punched in the wrong position. I had to drill another hole to line up with my brace, which is the same as Kiwi's and Don's. Here's a pic of old and new.
Batt tray.jpg

Great pictures - all very helpful!

This wasn't the answer that I wanted to hear (that I have the wrong $#@^! part), but was what I needed to figure out my battery tray dilemma. It also confirms that the hole seems to be punched in the wrong place on the reproduction pans. Even with the wrong brace, it was too far towards the rear of the tray. Glenn and Don's pictures confirm the need to drill a hole. Luckily, that is in my skill level, so I can get that part done. :icon_thumright:

Thank You all for the help!

Now to see if I can get the right part. Don - you've got mail...

Hawk

Hawk,
Pics and info sent to your email.
Let me know.
Thanks,
Don
Great pictures - all very helpful!

This wasn't the answer that I wanted to hear (that I have the wrong $#@^! part), but was what I needed to figure out my battery tray dilemma. It also confirms that the hole seems to be punched in the wrong place on the reproduction pans. Even with the wrong brace, it was too far towards the rear of the tray. Glenn and Don's pictures confirm the need to drill a hole. Luckily, that is in my skill level, so I can get that part done. :icon_thumright:

Thank You all for the help!

Now to see if I can get the right part. Don - you've got mail...

Hawk

I don't get it - are the cars supposed to have two braces?

I just sent you a PM and can send you pics of a 69 tray completely assembled with all the braces still on it. 68 and 69 have 2 braces on the bottom and one up top that goes to the top of the inner front fender. 70 only has the one brace on the bottom as shown in the pics on this thread

I don't get it - are the cars supposed to have two braces?

Looking down at the front of the battery. 69. Angled brace believed to be factory.

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back