• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BB Oil Capacity

Bob maio

Local time
11:14 PM
Reaction score
1965 B Body. I am rebuilding my 440 BB. installing new bearings, rings etc. I am also installing a new 971 oil pan. I use the shorty oil filter (WIX 51085). Stupid question, but how much oil should I fill it with. From what I read in this forum, the 971 has a 5 quart sump. But to be honest, there are some comments that said its a 4 quart. I am pretty sure its a 5 quart pan. So ho much oil do I add before initial startup. Don't want to under or over fill the engine.

It’s 5 quarts….

5 with new filter.
Yeah, more inclined to go with this as Mancini doesn't clarify.
FWIW, The old Chitlon book says 4 + 1 for the filter on '73 and up big blocks.
Per 440 Source, the 971 pan is a '73 and up item in their chart. (Chrysler PN 3614970) Maybe check a '73 FSM for capacity.
I think I'd 1/2 quart fill the filter and add 4-1/2 to the case to start. Calibrate the dip stick to it.

http://440source.com/oilpans.htm

OK thanks. I just looked up a 74 RoadRunner with a 440 and it calls for 5 including filter. So, assuming 440 source has their information correct, in that they use the 971 pan on 74 RoadRunner, then I am all set. And yes, I plan on calibrating the dipstick once I fill and run the engine.

A smart way to know how much is to pull dizzy intake and both v.c's off slowly add oil while priming the oil pump and watching how oil is getting around the engine..( eng NOT running)......you will see and hear how bad it is to have the wrong or to little amount of oil..........it will also show you how good your lifters ,rockers and stem tips are being oiled.......or starved...............also have to rotate crank now and then .

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back