• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BB Water Jacket Plugs

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
Hey folks! Let me start off by saying - Overthinking something is a strength of mine...:realcrazy:
Here are three versions of plugs for the side of my 383 block. The threads in the block are ok only up to the depth the factory used.
Brass was my plan, but the original plugs aren't Chinese. Then, I looked at a internal hex head plug. Am I insane for thinking of reusing the original plugs?
Which one would you use?
water jacket plugs.JPG

I would clean the threads lightly,with a pipe tap, use the brass one with teflon tape. I've got a lot of teflon tape.

Am I insane for thinking of reusing the original plugs?
Which one would you use?
I don't think it's insane. Just use a die, to clean up the threads. Run a tap into the block, and a little teflon tape and you are good to go. If you don't want to try that, go with the brass, it looks more original.

Pioneer PP745 is just like the one on the left. I chase the threads lightly if necessary, and always use new pipe plugs. I also use ARP thread sealant, but Teflon tape will suffice too.

My 69 HP 383 has petcocks on either side of the block. Pretty sure they arent factory but useful.

IMG_2520[1].JPG

clean up the OE plugs and chase the hole in the block to clean up those threads put a little sealant on the plug and put it back in....no thought required

I use the brass drain petcocks. If you ever have to pull a head, you’ll be glad you did.

Teflon tape is annoying the second time you take it apart. The little bits get left behind on the block side, then pushed into the water jacket when the plug gets put back in. This can be a big problem on fuel and oil pumps. I use pipe sealant aka "dope", keep it about 3/4 of a thread back from the end.

The original plug looks like it has a thread that's "off'. Clean it up in a 1/4" NPT die and reuse it. Don't over tighten.

I use petcocks also to drain it every year to keep them from filling up with rust.

Auto Transport Service
Back