• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BBody hardtop to convertible conversion

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I am still in the throws of mechanical work but thinking of the body. I know sexist right So with a complex roof repair I am thinking a soft top might actually be easier but I can’t find squat on this. Can anyone point me to some sources if information on this?

It is a very daunting task......It is easier and cheaper to find a vert body with parts versus ending up with a twisted hack job......

You may also want to price out the very rare convertible parts first before digging deep into a project of that size......Vert parts are very pricey if you can find some of them......

It'll be easier and cheaper just to fix your roof than it would be to make it a convertible or sportster. You'll have to do a bunch of chassis reinforcements on top of installing all the parts just to make it a convertible

cutting the top off of it would be the easy part.

Thanks I catch what you guys are saying...

Thanks I catch what you guys are saying...
I totally agree with all this...WAY too much to change over. Believe it or not, it doesn't seem all that hard (at least on TV) to cut/replace the roof on a hardtop. I mean, it's not "easy" & the big deal is getting everything trimmed & lined up perfectly before cutting/welding, but it can be done. PLUS, a roof should be reasonably easy to find since that part is rarely replaced.

What's bad on yours? Does it just need some patches? Is it rusted dead center so you could just put in an aftermarket sunroof? Could you find & graft in a factory sunroof from a Cordoba or something? I know I'm shooting from the hip here...just thinking.

I totally agree with all this...WAY too much to change over. Believe it or not, it doesn't seem all that hard (at least on TV) to cut/replace the roof on a hardtop. I mean, it's not "easy" & the big deal is getting everything trimmed & lined up perfectly before cutting/welding, but it can be done. PLUS, a roof should be reasonably easy to find since that part is rarely replaced.

What's bad on yours? Does it just need some patches? Is it rusted dead center so you could just put in an aftermarket sunroof? Could you find & graft in a factory sunroof from a Cordoba or something? I know I'm shooting from the hip here...just thinking.
It’s not so much that I want a convertible but was wondering what way would be easier. I understand that it’s more than cutting off the roof and adding a motor and soft top. It needs work in many places. After the mechanical work I am going after the roof so I am starting to plan that effort out.

What does your roof look like now?

It's been done. A hardtop to a convertible.

20180716_195203.jpg
20180716_194529.jpg
20180716_195215.jpg
20180716_195245.jpg
20180716_194517.jpg
20180716_195228.jpg
20180716_194547.jpg
20180716_194551.jpg
20180716_195236.jpg
20180716_200723.jpg

I'm in agreement with MN, fixing your roof is way easier and cheaper than creating a convertible. If the inner roof structure is good, the skin is easy to replace. Even if the roof rails are rotted (like mine were) AMD makes replacements. Keep searching for a parts car and grab what you need.

Auto Transport Service
Back