• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bearing help

PolaraFury

Local time
8:43 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

I ended up disassembling my 500 stroker to replace the rear main seal. (I got heave handed with sealer and I couldn’t get the upper to come free and push out). The motor only has a couple hundred miles on it.

I found out my #7 rod bearing is toast and I have odd wear on my mains too. I thought I had all my bases covered and apparently I missed something on assembly. Any thoughts?
Thank you

87F30F83-0882-422F-96A4-891A053E17F8.jpeg 3F89004A-6B9E-47E8-B84A-6AC269F264B7.jpeg 88F78CBD-493E-499F-9B59-AB7B75E4E8DF.jpeg

It appears the bearings were not chamfered for the radius on the crank. This is SOP with strokers.
I suspected that and needed a second opinion

thanks

I suspected that and needed a second opinion

thanks
Yeah it's upsetting, however it might not be too bad. What does the crank look like? And the cam bearings? The big thing is getting the engine CLEAN! Maybe polish the crank, gaskets, bearings, inspect the oil pump....

Yeah it's upsetting, however it might not be too bad. What does the crank look like? And the cam bearings? The big thing is getting the engine CLEAN! Maybe polish the crank, gaskets, bearings, inspect the oil pump....
The crank looks fine with the exception of the #7 journal. There is some marring (nothing serious, it’ll polish out)

What am I looking for in the oil pump? The motor has great oil pressure

What were the Vertical Bearing Clearances recorded with live gauges when you assembled the first time on both the Rods and Mains ?

Make sure it is checked this time .... and those clearances 'adjusted' as per the intended application, typically around .0025" to .003" on the Mains and .0025" on the Rods.
Too "Great" Oil Pressure Hot or Cold ? can be an indication of too tight Engine Bearing clearances...
with
Most Stroker Kits requiring checking and adjustment/correction of Bearing Clearances......

VERY Common with offshore Stroker Cranks when Mic'ing the Journals to find inconsistent sizings... sometimes as much as .001" between different Journals.... meaning the largest journal could have substantially LESS Bearing Clearance than others and starve for Oil.
Mic all 8 Rods journals
Check Rod Big End Sizings
Use live gauges

The impeller surfaces. If any of the bearing material found it's way via the oil. Any damage that could result in a failure.
Thanks

I will take it apart tomorrow and check

What were the Vertical Bearing Clearances recorded with live gauges when you assembled the first time on both the Rods and Mains ?

Make sure it is checked this time .... and those clearances 'adjusted' as per the intended application, typically around .0025" to .003" on the Mains and .0025" on the Rods.
Too "Great" Oil Pressure Hot or Cold ? can be an indication of too tight Engine Bearing clearances...
with
Most Stroker Kits requiring checking and adjustment/correction of Bearing Clearances......

VERY Common with offshore Stroker Cranks when Mic'ing the Journals to find inconsistent sizings... sometimes as much as .001" between different Journals.... meaning the largest journal could have substantially LESS Bearing Clearance than others and starve for Oil.
Mic all 8 Rods journals
Use live gauges
I am going through the measurement process and I’ll let you know what I find out. I have a question for you. My #4 main bearing cap slips right in. All of the others take some effort and a tap or two with a dead blow. Any idea as to why?

Check the parting lines when bolted down they should line up perfect. With the cap loose move side to side ( they should be snug you already know that) look at parting on both sides. Measure the play if possible, pictures? Liked @Challenger340 comments about off shore parts needing extra attention.

Check the parting lines when bolted down they should line up perfect. With the cap loose move side to side ( they should be snug you already know that) look at parting on both sides. Measure the play if possible, pictures? Liked @Challenger340 comments about off shore parts needing extra attention.
.001 is the difference. Apparently the other are a bit tighter tolerance. No noticeable side to side movement

One thing is to know is which side the parting line is perfect. I don't know if shimming it to the best side for proper position is possible. 001 a problem or not. Hope others will comment?

with

Mic all 8 Rods journals
Use live gauges
Main journal clearances. I haven’t done the rods yet.
1 .0025
2 .003
3 .003
4 .003
5 .003

Is there a chance that one of the caps got mixed up and in the wrong spot. Bought an engine and noting marked and had to figure out what cap went where.

with

Mic all 8 Rods journals
Use live gauges
All of the rod bearing clearances come in at .002

Should I run a different bearing combo?

Auto Transport Service
Back