• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beautiful Big Block Trick Flow Heads

pwtjr

Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score
In the process of freshening up a mild 440 in my 69 Superbee. Decided to put a set of Trick Flows new cylinder heads on it. Thought about this for a long time. I was down to buying either a set of Edelbrock RPM's ported by Hughes, Indy EZ's, or these Trick Flow Powerports.
Hood clearance, header fitment, price, and reputation were my main deciding factors.
Anyway...
Upon unpackaging everything, they look pretty sexy. This is my first set of CNC'ed cylinder heads.

MY QUESTION IS: What is the surface finish of a typical CNC'ed port? Mine have a bit of a texture to them. I assume this is desirable on the intake side of a carbureted engine, but what about the exhaust side? Would it be a good idea to smooth out the exhaust ports?
I just received the heads yesterday, so I am still just looking and admiring them, but I plan on disassembling them, cleaning and inspecting everything, and have a shop check the spring rates are in fact as advertised by Trick Flow.
If there is something to gain by a little work with a cartridge roll, obviously now is the time to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

TFS chamber-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php

Attachments

• 440-rb-big-block-mopar-head.jpg
    440-rb-big-block-mopar-head.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,155
On The Bench
Trick Flow 240cc PowerPort
Lift:Intake cfm:Exhaust cfm:

don't touch them, you could hurt the flow if you dont know what you are doing.

Those are nice, I probably would not touch them. It is a good idea to have a machine shop check them over before installing them. I've heard that about all the aluminum heads, not to just run them out of the box.

Those are nice, I probably would not touch them. It is a good idea to have a machine shop check them over before installing them. I've heard that about all the aluminum heads, not to just run them out of the box.
Exactly, piece of mind for sure. I want the springs verified and the valve job inspected. May even have them pressure tested. Still contemplating cleaning up the cnc marks on the exhaust side...

I am leaning toward these same heads for my GTX and I agree with CDR about the exhaust ports. However I will be interested to see what the machine shop finds as too the valve seats and springs. They sure are pretty. Thanks for the pics.

Keep us up to Date on how they Are!! I'm thinking about those instead of the 440Source for my '67 440 Build, have 915 collecting Dust!!

These trick Flows crap all over the Source heads. We have set here in Australia that are going on a nice 440 build.

Have the Source heads sent to MCH and they'll flow just as well as the TFs at nearly the same cost.

Took the words right out of my mouth.it's an apples to oranges comparison.

$1k for Stealth's and $750 for porting from Modern Cylinder Head and you won't notice the difference on a street car. I did Stealth's and a friend did Trickflows. I like them both and they flow within 10 cfm of each other at .500 lift.

So what lift springs come with Stealth heads ?

- - - Updated - - -

What about retainers, locks and guides ? Been told they are a bit average on Stealth heads.

So what lift springs come with Stealth heads ?

- - - Updated - - -

What about retainers, locks and guides ? Been told they are a bit average on Stealth heads.

I always match the springs to the cam I'm using anyway, so that's a non- issue for me.

Al,
the CNC source heads come with Comp gear , at least mine did . I did swap out the springs to suit my cam , street use might have left them alone .
You know I ran an early set of stock Source heads before the cnc ones , cleaned up behind valve , even ran as supplied springs/retainers . Had them on the 440 with a 509 cam ran them about 6 years daily driver and monthly bracket racing no problems . In fact I sold them and fitted them on another 440 I built and they are still going great . They did get guides when they were serviced before refitting .

Tex

Just discovered that my headers (1 7/8 Hooker Competition) are not going to work with these angle plug Trick Flows. Driver's side is fine; passenger side not so much.
Guess I should have bought good headers in the first place when I had this car apart last. TTI headers look like they will work by their advertisement pictures. Guess I am gonna have open up the wallet, again.
Just need to decide on size now... stay with the 1 7/8 or step up to a 2 inch primary? I almost wish someone would make a step header from 1 7/8 to 2 inch which would be awesome for my particular application.
Lesson learned: Always buy TTI headers for your Mopar.

I always match the springs to the cam I'm using anyway, so that's a non- issue for me.

Ok but when you order Trick Flow you pick the spring you want and that's what it comes with .

- - - Updated - - -

330 @ 700 out of the box (before you give them a touch up) would be hard to match with a worked Stealth and you will be able to go to Max Wedge port later if you wanted.

One more thing, the finish on the Trick Flow heads are 10 times better than Stealth, but Stealth's are the go if you want that painted stock look .

Each to there own but I'm looking a set right now and they look great. Might get the young gun to buy some for the VG Valiant.

Auto Transport Service
Back