• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Been listening to Frank Zappa this morning.

Imperial One

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
Hey I know that you either love him or hate him. I would fall into the former group. So this thread will be more than a little esoteric if you're not a fan. What got me going was a sudden desire to get a "Utility Muffin Research Kitchen" t shirt. Well they don't exist. But what I did find was a video of Frank's house where the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen was located (the "kitchen" would be his recording studio).

The video was made by a real estate firm who were marketing the house (in 2016). Ultimately the house was sold to Lady Gaga. She's not to my personal taste, but in many respects she is as iconoclastic as Frank, so not a bad choice of people to own the house.

The house is somewhat eccentric, but it is still pretty interesting. For instance, Frank claimed that a number of the elements in the house came from a submarine. Here's the video:

The background music is from Frank's Album "Hot Rats" and the particular song is "Peaches en Regalia". This is one of my favourite Zappa albums. Released in 1969 it only contained 6 songs, and only one of those songs had lyrics (Willie the Pimp sung by Captain Beefheart). It's really a jazz album, and if you're a guitar fan and haven't really listened to Zappa lately you should be sure to check out "Son on Mr. Green Genes":

Of course the "Utility Muffin Research Kitchen" didn't show up in Frank's work until 1975 on the album "Bongo Fury" in the song "The Muffin Man". This is my favourite Zappa record. I guess it would be unreasonable to think that the Real Estate Brokerage would have used "Muffin Man" as the background music on their video of Frank's old house (but it would have been cool if they did).

BTW Frank died way back in 1993 at the age of 52.

… And she was breeding a dwarf
But she wasn't done yet

Another one of my favourite songs and albums. I remember buying this album as a 13 year old back in 1973 and laughing my *** off about the "picture frame" on the album cover.

That was some weird *** music!

Grew up in the '70s and had a couple of his albums. I had to be in the right mood to listen to it. Fun to have some friends over and drop the needle on a vinyl. "Don't eat that yellow snow" :fool:

Remember Moving to Montana, gonna start a dental floss farm

One of my all time favourite guitar solos by ANYONE in "Montana". Frank was so wildly inventive.

Same album as "Camarillo Brillo". But of course at that time as a 13 year old it was all about "Dinah-Moe Humm"

Last edited:
saw Frank at the Tower Theater in philly in like 82......lots of panties on the stage, he was picking them up with a mechanical hand lmao.......

they did Whipping Post for an encore.....it was awesome! :fool:

dammit, now I'm rocking out to Joe's Garage over Sunday coffee

saw Frank at the Tower Theater in philly in like 82......lots of panties on the stage, he was picking them up with a mechanical hand lmao.......

they did Whipping Post for an encore.....it was awesome! :fool:

dammit, now I'm rocking out to Joe's Garage over Sunday coffee

Great idea! Do you remember:

"It Looks Just Like A Telefunken U47!"

In the song "Crew ****" on Joe's Garage.

I think the instrumental pieces are far better than any of the vocal pieces. The instrumentals show his talent as a composer whereas the lyrics are more like "let's see how many people actually buy this ****"

"give me, your dirty love..........like some tacky little pamphlet in your daddy's bottom drawer"

the price of me has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

the way your mama make that nasty poodle chew!

Now THAT you can get a t-shirt for. But no Utility Muffin Research Kitchen. I might need to make that up myself.

1399_550x550_Front_Color-SmokeGray.jpg

Screenshot 2022-02-13 at 11-19-10 Inspired by Frank Zappa T shirt - Poodle Bites.jpg

in the corner, over by the dodge......it was a 54, with a mashed up door

Auto Transport Service
Back